Author Topic: New Knife  (Read 2644 times)

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
New Knife
« on: January 23, 2019, 03:25:50 PM »
This is a knife I had made by Josh Wrightsman.
I chose the blade and handle designs based on several period paintings. The boxwood material for the handle came from one of our great members here at ALR when all my sources had dried up.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: New Knife
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 04:30:13 PM »
Very, very nice James.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »
Stunning. Boxwood certainly makes a handsome handle. Is the entire bolster integral to the blade, or is that a separate collar?  Either way, very elegantly done!

What are you planning for a sheath?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 11:21:49 PM »
Looks great, James!  What is the blade length?  Are you planning to attach it to a bag or make a stand-alone sheath?
Jerry

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 05:09:38 AM »
Beautiful knife! Kudos to you for your design tastes and Kudos to your knife maker for giving you exactly what you wanted. I have commissioned a few bespoke knives myself and that hasn’t happened yet!

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 06:32:26 AM »
Thanks guys. I was excited to get it. It has been on a photo tour for about 3 months.  I can't take credit for the design as that is historical or the execution as that was all Josh.
Im working on a period sheath design with carving/tooling to hopefully do it justice. Of course my sheath can't pay the bills so it may be a while coming ; ) the bolster is all one with the blade and the one piece runs thru the handle and is peened on top. I think the blade is around 7 3/4 to 8 inches to the bolster.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 08:13:15 PM »
Thanks guys. I was excited to get it. It has been on a photo tour for about 3 months.  I can't take credit for the design as that is historical or the execution as that was all Josh.

What era?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 04:07:13 AM »

What era?

2nd half of the 17th century

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 05:56:51 PM »
Thanks. I did think that it looked more like a 17th century or earlier knife than an 18th or 19th century knife.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 03:36:46 PM »
That knife looks really nice.
Will
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 05:06:41 PM »
James
beautiful knife, interesting handle design, is there a specific purpose for the large ball other than style?  Josh is doing some absolutely fantastic work.  Really interested to see the leather you do for this piece.
V/R
Todd

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 06:20:15 PM »
Todd, I assume the handle design is just for the eye but I must say it feels good in hand and I'm sure when it gets into use it will be just as comfortable and user friendly.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 11:20:03 PM »
I too am awaiting what type of delightful sheath you will add to this one.  :-)  A fine looking knife, and I am sure you are happy to own it.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 05:19:59 AM »
Josh really knows how to swing a hammer. He forges some amazing things. Good looking knife.