Author Topic: BP in Canada for MZL hunt on Anacosti Island, Quebec?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Flint62Smoothie

BP in Canada for MZL hunt on Anacosti Island, Quebec?
« on: January 23, 2019, 05:30:47 AM »
US citizen heading north ...

Well, we booked the trip anyway, but the info and support provided by Sepaq is poor. First they tell me that any gun is a better option than a bow, but they seem absolutely clueless about muzzleloaders. Part of the trip is a flight from somewhere in Quebec over the island and explosives can’t fly by air.

They finally give me the name of a hardware store on the island and I inquire with them about getting black powder there. They reply with a list of every ‘smokeless’ powder made by Alliant, Hodgdon or IMR. Zip about real BP ...

Has anyone here ever hunted Anacosti from the States and how did you get powdah?
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline trentOH

Re: BP in Canada for MZL hunt on Anacosti Island, Quebec?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 05:40:46 AM »
Look into the possibility of flying with rifle ammunition. If allowable, carry a bunch of 45-70 or 45-90 cartridges. Upon arrival, pull the bullets and there's your powder. You could recast the bullets to make balls if you need to. Otherwise load very light bullets so you don't have to carry quite as much weight.
Let the outfitters shoot your rifle some, so they aren't as clueless when the next frontstuffer comes their way. Kinda makes you a pioneer!

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:46:09 AM »
Look into the possibility of flying with rifle ammunition. If allowable, carry a bunch of 45-70 or 45-90 cartridges.
From my read of the Canadian Explosives Act ... that is illegal. And I surely don't want to be the one to test their laws ... or enforcement thereof.

I also am stunned that Sepaq can't answer a SIMPLE question about hunting with black powdah arms. Can I really be the 1st one to muzzleloader hunt there ... ?
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 08:35:39 AM »
I think you are allowed 500 grams of black powder when you cross the border but your flight to the island might be a no go unless there are some special provisions for hunters on an internal flight. I would think that there are locals on an island as big as that that might use real black.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 08:50:21 AM »
I got a call out of the blue one day, from a fellow from Australia who was coming to BC for a moose hunt.  He got black powder from me here in my town, which was the closest town to his hunting area....caps too.  Your outfitter has to know someone who shoots black powder and could help you out.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 05:18:25 PM »
Your outfitter has to know someone who shoots black powder and could help you out.
That’s exactly the tact I’m now taking, even to the point to see if I can get some shipped or delivered there, waiting for me. Still stunning that everyone up thar’ assumes and answers about “smokeless” powders, when I emphatically state I need the real holy black ...

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 09:08:32 PM »
Update - Contacted Goex’s closest Canadian distributor and will see what they can possibly help me with ...

Offline J Henry

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 09:22:35 PM »
  Contact your outfitter and have them get some for you,they should have a contact.

Online Daryl

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 10:29:29 PM »
Better contact the Quebec Chief Firearms Officer for laws. Quebec has now reinstated the long-arm firearms  S# registration.

That might effect you, maybe not with flinters.  When the registration was country wide, flintlocks were not considered firearms, but cap locks were.
 Quebec

I found this list for all of Canada's CFO's on another forum.

On my hunt for the Quebec CFO's direct phone number I came across a lot of people also looking for it and other provincial CFO phone numbers. They removed the phone numbers and only left the fax numbers on the CFP website presumably because they were fed up of being called.

Here's the list I found from an old post on this website. Hope this helps others, cheers.

Alberta
Chief Firearms Officer
Suite 720, 10909 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5J 3L9
Tel: (780) 495-7799
Fax: (780) 495-7970

British Columbia
Chief Firearms Officer
Suite 400, 10470 152 Street
Surrey, BC V3R 0Y3
Tel: (604) 586-2562
Fax: (604) 586-2402

Manitoba
Chief Firearms Officer
Unit 1, 1680 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3H 0Z2
Tel: (204) 984-0715
Fax: (204) 984-0670

New Brunswick
Chief Firearms Officer - Department of Public Safety
Law Enforcement Division
P.O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
Tel: (506) 457-7387
Fax: (506) 457-3521

Newfoundland & Labrador
Office of the Chief Firearms Officer
Suite E120, Prince Charles Building
120 Torbay Road
St. John’s, NL A1A 2G8
Tel: (709) 772-2876
Fax: (709) 772-3202

Northwest Territories
Chief Firearms Officer
Suite 720, 10909 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5J 3L9
Tel: (867) 920-8395
Fax: (780) 495-7970

Nova Scotia
Chief Firearms Officer - Policing and Victims Services
Division
Department of Justice
5151 Terminal Road - 1st Floor
P.O. Box 7
Halifax, NS B3J 2L6
Tel: (902) 424-6689
Fax: (902) 424-4308

Nunavut
Chief Firearms Officer
Unit 1, 1680 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3H 0Z2
Tel: (780) 495-7789
Fax: (204) 984-0670

Ontario
Chief Firearms Officer
Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
777 Memorial Avenue
Orillia, ON L3V 7V3
Tel: 705-329-5522
Fax: (705) 329-5623

Prince Edward Island
Department of Community Services and Attorney General
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PEI C1A 7N8
Tel: (902) 368-5536
Fax: (902) 368-5198
Email: ewgoodwin@gov.pe.ca

Quebec
Sûreté du Québec
Service du contrôle des armes à feu
1701, rue Parthenais, bureau 10-07
Montréal (PQ) H2K 3S7
Tel: (514) 598-4584
Télécopieur : (514) 496-4653
http://www.suretequebec.gouv.qc.ca

Saskatchewan
Chief Firearms Officer
Room 310, 1783 Hamilton Street
Regina, SK S4P 2B6
Tel: (306) 780-5912
Fax: (306) 780-7400

Yukon
Chief Firearms Officer
Suite 400, 10470 152 Street
Surrey, BC V3R 0Y3
Tel: (867) 667-5969
Fax: (604) 586-2402 
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Turtle

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 11:46:07 PM »
 When we went on a flintlock hunt and flew to Texas we UPS shipped powder there to the outfitter. That was US of course but may be it would work? Got 2 nice Corsican rams-first two with flintlocks for that outfitter.

Artd

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 10:17:12 PM »
Please don't take 45-70 loaded with BP. If you google traveling with BP you'll find a bunch of people who have gotten in hot water by doing that.
You'll be asked why do you have a muzzle loader and also have ammo? Its not the Canadian government its the FAA. You can not fly with BP and or caps, any where. I just got home from a hunt to Alberta, I was asked many times by TSA if I had any BP or caps with me, which I did not. When I got to my destination in Alberta all of my luggage and rifle case had been gone through. I was able to buy some BP and caps in Calgary.
Call that hardware store and see if they are willing to buy a LBS and some caps for you, it will cost you. I just paid $45 US for a LBS of FFF. I think that hardware store will be your only recourse. I'm driving next time. Good luck.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 03:20:11 PM »
Hi,
I am a former Quebec resident, I lived there for fifty years, should have moved out when I was five years old.
It is the most backward, unreasonable, impossible  entity to work with.
The individual people are the most accommodating, inviting, and friendly people you could ever come upon.
I wouldn't leave five tourist dollars there.
I grew up on the Quebec/Ontario border eight miles from the Capitol of Canada.
The large city of Gatineau, Quebec had about 50 % of city streets were named in English, about five years ago the Province went on a witch hunt and renamed almost every street in French, under the guise to reinforce the French only policy.
They actually have French only police scouring the country side looking for any sign other than French.
Many and most of my former high school, and university associates have moved out.
GOOD LUCK on your hunt!
A word to the wise, make double sure that you comply with their wishes, or you will pay!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline snapper

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 06:49:42 PM »
Please do not put black powder in cartridges for the sole reason to circumvent the regulations.  I can not speak for CN, but it is not legal to do that in the USA.

Until May I can still call myself a Special Agent with the United States Department of Transportation, Hazardous Materials Program Manager.  I will retire sometime in May after 32 years.

I know it can be really frustrating trying to find powder outside the USA.  I am toying with a Red Stag hunt in Argentina and I got the same issue regarding black powder. 

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 12:13:38 AM »
Make sure you have copies of email/letters to present to TSA types at the airport that document how you will be getting your black powder for your muzzleloader at your final destination. Helps simplify things if that is possible. They are going to ask and likely check your luggage as soon as they see your muzzleloader. Do not even consider sneaking BP on to a commercial airplane.