Author Topic: Buckshot Betty  (Read 7192 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Buckshot Betty
« on: January 23, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
Please excuse the low quality pics, after last night we have snow up to my waist and no place to take outdoor pics. My low grade camera needs lots of natural light for good pics.
 Another Lehigh...SURPRISE! ;D Hoyt 44 1/8" swamped oct. .38 1/2 cal. barrel. Had him go the extra 1/2 caliber so I could load .375 colt revolver balls in it. The barrel is 7/8" at the breech, tapering to a  long 3/4" section flaring to 13/16". The lock is a Zornes classic, between a large and small Siler in size with a thick bolster, sparks like a champ just like Stoner Creek said it would. #4 grade red maple I got from Dunlap probably 15 years ago. I put some incised carving on it, behind the breech, around the patchbox, Lady Liberty, a buttstock molding and an upperforestock molding. Mounts are my local castings, the BP is a modified Goehring #36 and the TG is the old #2 (I think that's' the right #) that Jerry Kirkland used to sell.  The sideplate(s) I cut from shet brass and engraved, which you can barely see. Pull is 13 3/8" and the weight is 7lbs.

You'll notice the piece of shot in the forestock, I wonder how old that is? The stock blank showed no sign of it. After I slabbed out the profile there was a bunch of  dark mineral streaking in that area and as I worked it down the shot appeared. Big Medicine eh? ???

I'll have this at Cumberland, amongst other rifles.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: Buckshot Betty
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:36:56 PM »
I like it right well, Mike.It has the character of the builder.!! Ya just never know what might show up when you start whittling off wood.
Hope y'all keep warm. Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 09:45:15 PM »
She’s a looker!
I want my lock back 8)
Stop Marxism in America

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 11:59:52 PM »
Great looking rifle and I like it.  Very trim and sleek.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 12:17:18 AM »
  Mike can't wait to see this one...!  Just don't sell it before I can see it. Cause it won't last long...!!!  That is if Stoner wants his lock back..!!
   Oldtravler

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 12:23:22 AM »
Me like it lots ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 12:38:31 AM »
Another nice rifle Mike. Wish I could make it to the Cumberland Show sure would like to hold and look at it. Tim

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 12:45:34 AM »
Really nice work Mike.  Each one of these you do gets better...more believable.  It's certainly a departure from your usual, and I like it.  Better pictures would also be nice.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 01:02:53 AM »
And thus a new trend in conteps happens.  Next thing ya know we'll be seeing shot all over the wood, maybe a ball or two and then the ultimate...

an arrowhead!

And it was all started by Brooks in 2019.

Gives totally new meaning to "shooting yer gun"

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 01:29:18 AM »
Very nice.    If you ever see me on TV after winning the lottery, I'll be saying, "Mike Brooks, PM me your phone number... let's talk about you building me a few long rifles!"

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 01:58:48 AM »
And thus a new trend in conteps happens.  Next thing ya know we'll be seeing shot all over the wood, maybe a ball or two and then the ultimate...

an arrowhead!

And it was all started by Brooks in 2019.

Gives totally new meaning to "shooting yer gun"
Just to clarify, I didn't put that piece of shot in this gun, somebody long ago shot the tree this gun was made out of. It's an incredible fluke that it ended up where it did.. Another 1/8" either way and it wouldn't have been in the stock.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 02:03:52 AM »
That’s a nice rifle.  They don’t get any better than that.  Hope I get a chance to see it. 

Offline Molly

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 02:42:42 AM »
I understood all alone...it was there and only discovered as the work progressed.

But accident that it was, it still stands to set a new trend.  I got some #4 buck and an old Springfield smooth bore.  I'm going out tomorrow and shoot my guns! :D

Offline dstock

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 04:40:24 AM »
I usually don't get attracted to this style gun, but sometimes I do and this one is an exception. If I were the caretaker I would be grinning from ear to ear. Mike you done good. She shore is purty.
Fantastic workmanship!

Doug
God Bless
God Bless
Doug B

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 04:45:11 AM »
I usually don't get attracted to this style gun, but sometimes I do and this one is an exception. If I were the caretaker I would be grinning from ear to ear. Mike you done good. She shore is purty.
Fantastic workmanship!

Doug
God Bless
Buy it!
Brooks takes cash!!!
He’s gotten a fair share of mine  ;)
Stop Marxism in America

Offline BarryE

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 04:59:57 AM »
Nice rifle gun Mike.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 05:12:27 AM »
Yep, lots to like, really nice work, Mike.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Lassiter

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 05:39:27 AM »
Beautiful rifle!!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 06:40:06 AM »
Very appealing and I would say you need to get more pics before letting that thing go ; )

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »
Very appealing and I would say you need to get more pics before letting that thing go ; )
I plan to, I'm going to have to have a break in the weather first which isn't coming anytime soon. These pics are so poor you can't see much detail, it's like looking at it with out my glasses on! . It's a much nicer gun in person.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:22:38 PM by Mike Brooks »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 02:59:58 PM »
 Good looking rifle, classic architecture makes it easy to look at. Wonder if that piece of shot is from where a Squirrel got knocked off the tree.

Tim

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 04:31:39 PM »
Good looking rifle, classic architecture makes it easy to look at. Wonder if that piece of shot is from where a Squirrel got knocked off the tree.

Tim

Man, a piece of shot, and some skwerl hair imbedded...that would be the ultimate  :o!

Very nice rifle, Mr. Brooks!  I hope to see it in person at Lake Cumberland.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 05:59:26 PM »
Only halfway thrugh an Iowa winter and Brooks is posting a second Lehigh?!  I think some sort of clinical diagnosis is in order.   ;D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 08:31:14 PM »
Only halfway thrugh an Iowa winter and Brooks is posting a second Lehigh?!  I think some sort of clinical diagnosis is in order.   ;D
Yep, long winter for sure. We got 6 1/2" of fluffy snow yesterday and today the wind has kicked up to 35mph so we're doing the white out thing today, all the roads are blowing closed. We're supposed to have a "major event" on Monday, somethin around or over 10" followed by wind then Wednesday the bottom drops out with a high of -14 and a low of -25. If I enjoyed this sort of thing I'd move to Canada.....winter sucks!

I'm doing a ash mounted English trade gun at the moment. After that I'd like to do another Christian's Spring gun or maybe an early Dickert or maybe a French trade gun, I have s stumpy 25" swamped .58 I want to build a Brandenburg gun out of too, so many guns, so little time!....who knows. ;D

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 08:54:29 PM »
I saw a couple pictures of an original muzzle loading gun that had had a musket ball completely penetrate the comb...shot through and through.  What a story that would have been!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.