Author Topic: Hard ring of fauling  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Mad Monk

Re: Hard ring of fauling
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 07:45:34 AM »
Humidity is a big deal in some parts and surely puts extra stress on rust preventatives.

Yes - they used the Ballistol full strength. Taylor thought his might have been contaminated

as a quantity of it was gifted to him by a German fellow/friend.  Ron, on the other hand, used

it straight out of the bottle he's just purchased, sealed, so no contamination - same result.

I wasn't aware that ordinary mineral oil was water soluble.

Mineral oil is not water-soluble.  What I had is white in color.  It looks like an emulsion.  A little special soap in the water and you get an emulsion.  You see this in the old T/C bore cleaner.  They used a silicone oil emulsified in water.  Same stuff they used in their cutting and grinding machines when they worked the metal parts.  Used in machining as a lubricant and cooling agent to extend cutting tool life.  Which is why I used to roll when I read the label.  All natural????  Silicone oil ???  They claimed it was dissolved in the water.  A solution?  Nope!  A micro-emulsion.

As for myself I liked the spray cans of Ballistiol.  Come home from the range and set up to clean he two bp rifles.  Wife would quickly head over to the mall to get away from the Ballistol stink.  The big old hound dog would head for a corner well away from where I was working.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 10:23:22 PM »
TKs Bill, that makes sense.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 08:30:54 PM »
My Local Wal mart now sells " Pure Lambs Tallow" and "Pure Beef Tallow" in the lard section.  It is from grass fed critters and has no salts. It is in a jar and is around $14 if i remember correctly.

Bob

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »
What's lard? Is that pig tallow?

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 08:42:57 AM »

Daryl,  There was more humor to my description of the T/C silicone oil emulsion sold as a BP bore cleaner.  Container said it was "all natural".  Silicone oil was invented around 1947 from what my chemical industry books said.  All natural ????  Well it came from a DOW-Corning PLANT.  Which had a large tank FARM.  A FARM and a Plant?  Just gotta be natural! That was my joke when I was trapped 7 days a week in a PVC PLANT with a large tank FARM I had to check during my work day.

Bill K.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2019, 02:56:05 PM »
What's lard? Is that pig tallow?
Well, yes and no.
Both are rendered animal fat but Tallow (by definition) comes from ruminant animals (cattle, mutton, buffalo, etc.). Lard (by definition) is from pigs. They are not chemically identical.
One other comment on Lard...I just looked at the container of commercial Lard (Armor brand) we have in the house now and note that it contains the additives: BHA, Propyl Gallate, and Citric Acid.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Turtle

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 04:09:27 PM »
 I recommended mink oil patch lube to a friend and he called me  upset. He said it had gummed his barrel terribly. I discovered he had bought shoe waterproofing "mink oil" that had silicone in it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2019, 12:00:51 AM »

Daryl,  There was more humor to my description of the T/C silicone oil emulsion sold as a BP bore cleaner.  Container said it was "all natural".  Silicone oil was invented around 1947 from what my chemical industry books said.  All natural ????  Well it came from a DOW-Corning PLANT.  Which had a large tank FARM.  A FARM and a Plant?  Just gotta be natural! That was my joke when I was trapped 7 days a week in a PVC PLANT with a large tank FARM I had to check during my work day.

Bill K.

Yes - I caught that, Bill. Very much like their winter lip-balm with eucalyptus oil to make their "Bore Butter".
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V