Author Topic: Pistol re-do  (Read 6298 times)

Davemuzz

Pistol re-do
« on: January 25, 2019, 12:55:15 AM »
Aside from a T\C kit rifle I put together in 1980, my next venture into gun building was my .50 cal flintlock pistol that I did in 2010. When I built the pistol I read no build books, but simply "winged it" based upon other pistol photos.

Well, after acquiring and reading a "real" rifle build book, and finishing a Lehman build, I decide to re-do my pistol from it's current clunky, square, "fat" size, to a more slimline model. I just started the "fix."  Now, I know I can't fix everything from the build errors I did the first go-around. But I believe I can make it a better looking pistol than what I have now.

Here's a few pics. The first is the "finished" 2010 version. Then my beginning of the re-do.

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

Re: Pistol re-do
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 01:49:13 AM »
That is a beautiful piece of walnut. Your reshaping is coming along nicely. Looks like you have enough wood around the rear of the lock to add beavertails once you thin the lock moulding down.
Mark
Mark Poley

Davemuzz

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 10:16:52 PM »
Thanks for the comment!!

Now, here's an area I need some suggestions with. When I did the original build I filed a curve\half-round on the tang. Well, with inletting in curly walnut it didn't work out at all. (Yes, I screwed up on that one)  So, in an attempt to fix it, I glued in a piece of walnut in order to try and get the wood\metal fit on the curve to look nice. It didn't.

So, I'm considering cutting off the curve\half-round part off the tang, then inletting a square where the half-round went, and gluing in a square piece of walnut. (I still have a few small pieces of that wood)

Now, I know it's going to show unless I can work some magic with accraglass and brown dye and make it as unnoticeable as possible.

Any thoughts on this?  (And yes.....that hole is off center. I've devised a plan to conceal that as well. New wider screw head and drill\chamfer out the offset screw....screwup.)

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 11:31:28 PM »
I’m sure you will get some other responses.  But in this case, and since it’s a rebuild, I would probably procure a new breech plug and work it down so it’s a little longer than the old one, and trinket.  That would also solve the offset hole with a new redrill in the center.

Offline Rich

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 12:36:08 AM »
I like Top Jaw's idea. It will also give you a learning experience in fitting the plug to the barrel.

Davemuzz

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 06:11:20 AM »
For whatever reason, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll put the barrel in a barrel vice that I have and wrench off the tang. I'm the "guy" who fitted this breech plug, so a second one should be fairly easy to do.....and I've learned a lot as to how not to drill an off-center tang screw hole!!!

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 06:24:00 PM »
Why not just cut off the tang in front of the hole and weld a longer piece back on?
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Davemuzz

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 06:31:18 PM »
Welding would work. Except if you had ever seen me weld (last attempt was in the '70's) you would likely run.....not walk away as fast as you could. Some can weld.....some cannot.  ::) :P

Edit: I clamped the barrel in my barrel vise and one good shove broke the breech plug loose. Anti-zeize is a wonderful product!! The barrel is in great shape.

Put my order in for a new breech plug. I'll do as Top Jaw stated and make the shape longer....of course, drill it dead center this time as well.  ::)

Thanks for you input!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:15:56 PM by Davemuzz »

Davemuzz

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 05:18:39 PM »
So, I have a Nosecap question for you guys:

On my original build, I did not install a nose cap, but now that I'm involved I'm thinking a nice brass nose cap would look good. BTW the original side plate I installed is not going back on. Instead I will inlet an "Albright style" brass side plate.

The end of my barrel, just before the wedding band measures .818" in diameter.

Now, I'm looking at a nose cap from MBS that states:  "This brass round barrel pistol nosecap has a web diameter of .710 which can be opened up to fit barrels slightly over 3/4". Made by Cash Manufacturing. Inside diameter is 15/16" and is 1" long. 1/8" tall web on the face."

So.....am I reading these measurements correctly?  As in the picture below.  It seems to me that I should be able to inlet this cap, even if the "Web Face" measurement is the outside of the front of the cap. Am I correct?

Thanks for you help!!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 10:27:37 PM »
I find this "style" of pistol looks better without a nose cap.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline kutter

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 04:03:31 AM »
If you doubt your welding ability, then you can use simpler solder techniques to fix the tang.
A couple ways to do it.

First is to cut the tang completely off from the plug portion. Make the cut horizontal with the tang and at the lower/bottom edge
of the tang thru the plug portion. That leaves you with the breech plug w/no tang and a step on the top of the plug portion that is
as deep as the tang is thick.
Now make an entire new tang to the dimensions you need to cover any excess wood cuts in the stock, extra length you want, ect.
Make it extra large from that measurement to allow for a bit of final fitting and shaping.
Bend the new tang to the shape you need to have it before the next step.
Then attach this new tang to the breech plug at that 'step' you cut on the top of the plug.
Use "Hard Solder" (we called it Silver Solder, but that isn't PC anymore I guess). Hi Temp stuff,,1200F
Or Braze it together,,pretty much the same thing,,just a bit more heat and some better strength.

The Solder joint won't show as it's underneath the tang as viewed in the assembled pistol.
>
>

Another way to fix it but using Soft Solder is to  Half-Lap the existing tang with a new one. That joint can be soft soldered
and will be plenty strong.

Again cutting the existing tang down BUT NOT OFF. 
File about half the thickness of the tang down along it's length,,or shorten the tang a bit to make the work easier.
I would cut the tang off completely just ahead of the off center screw hole to avoid all the work of fileing the entire length.
File the remaining portion down FLAT to about 1/2 the thickness of the orig tang. Less if it leaves the tang quite thin.

Make a new tang as in the above repair. This time on the underside of it file a matching flat on the front end of it
to mate with what remains of the old tang. Make the fit as close as possible including the small step in the two parts where they abut.
Use soft solder and sweat solder the two parts together.,,(or you can Hard Solder them together as above.)
An extremely strong joint and as above will not show the soldered joint on the assembled gun.

Davemuzz

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 07:07:46 PM »
Thanks Dayrl for your input. I am "fishing" for suggestions on my post. It's also less work to leave it as is and square it up as opposed to inletting a nose cap.

Also a thanks to Kutter for you suggestions on the tang. However, I'm going to just order a new tang for it. I put the barrel in my barrel vise and a good tug let loose the existing tang. TOTW still sells this exact tang so, if I'm careful and with tools sharp from the strop I should have no problems.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 07:56:04 PM »
Dave, Here are a couple of photos of what I did on the forend tip on my son's pistol.

Mark
Mark Poley

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »
Another option would be to fill the gaps at the tang with scrap wood, and cover the rear portion of the tang with an inlay. IMO, the gun needs a buttcap anyway. The wood is outstanding.

Hungry Horse

Davemuzz

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 09:15:34 PM »
Thanks for the photo's and input. That helps in my decision making.

Do you really think a buttcap is....well, warranted\required\necessary? A "Kentucky" style. I'm not a big fan of the piece that come's up the rear of those TOTW Kentucky buttcaps. It may be easier to "better" to just peen one from flatstock. Like in the shape of the bottom half of an egg?

I purchased that wood from a wood shop in Mars Pa. They specialize in "interesting" cuts of wood.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:20:05 PM by Davemuzz »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 09:21:31 PM »
Here are 3 more with plain noses.
I feel that is a brass rifle-type nose cap is put on the pistol, it will render an appearance of an Italian

brass mounted reproduction that doesn't quite look right.

Daryl

Davemuzz

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 09:27:22 PM »
Thanks for the pic's Daryl. That first one (top) in your post is what I'm going after. It's plain, simple, no "over-decoration" and no buttcap.

IMHO with that piece of wood I want less "gingerbread" and more wood showing.  8)

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 10:59:22 PM »
In most cases these addition to a pistol weren’t gingerbread. Buttcaps allowed a fired pistol to become a bludgeon, without risking damage to the gun. And many inlays as I mentioned were there exact for the same reason yours would be.

Hungry Horse

Offline davebozell

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 11:25:01 PM »
Eric von Aschwege has a tutorial on his website  (www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com) on how to make a pistol buttcap from a sheet of brass.

Davemuzz

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 03:52:49 AM »
Dave (I think all named "Dave" should rule the world. Things would be much more stable!),

Thanks for the link. My wife was an art major in college....way back in the day....and focused on making metal jewelry. She knows all about peening flat metals into shapes.

That tutorial is done well. I guess I really need to think about a buttcap.

Dave

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 04:05:23 AM »
Here is a shot of the buttcap on my son's pistol. I think this could easily be swaged from flat.

Mark
Mark Poley

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 04:19:18 AM »
Track has butt caps in brass and silver and likely steel as well. I have a couple in a parts drawer, unused.
This is a very comfortable pistol to shoot, even with heavy powder chargers(for a pistol). It rolls in the hand nicely, reducing the wrist shock.
It also has a .45 rifled barrel with cap-lock ignition.

Daryl

Davemuzz

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 05:55:33 AM »
My pistol had a very heavy trigger pull until I changed the pivot point to the correct distance. It's a 50 caliber and shoots a heavy load very well. I generally shoot 50gr. FFF using either a Buffalo Ballett or a Hornady Pa. Conical. If I do my part, it's MOD at 50 yards.

I've taken it hunting many times, but have not had the opportunity to take a deer with it.

When this re-do is complete the pistol will be much more streamline and "thinner" than it was. It will look like a flintlock pistol should!!

Davemuzz

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 05:26:57 PM »
After consideration of the posters input (and thank you very much for that) I've decided to not install a nose cap, nor a buttcap. Many of the 1810-1840 flintlock pistols had neither.

However, in that same vein, many did not have much or any finial on the sides or top. I have enough wood to carve some simple finial's on the side wood panels and behind the tang. Something simple that would flow with the build.

So, I'm going to attempt to do this right....and if I don't get it right.....it will magically disappear. Or so I hope!!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 01:41:29 AM »
Thought I'd throw this into the thread - a scanner-shot of the pistol.

Daryl