Author Topic: Bring on the squirrels  (Read 2470 times)

Offline flint45

• Starting Member
Bring on the squirrels
« on: January 26, 2019, 07:23:22 AM »
Well,deer season is over, so the squirrels need to look out. I acquired what I hope will be a threat to all those tree rats. It's a beauty,for sure. 13/16ths, 44 inch,.36 caliber. Me and the boys are meeting up soon.

Offline alacran

Re: Bring on the squirrels
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 02:19:35 PM »
Skwerls will be proud to die by that pretty gun.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:46:06 PM »
Nice NC rifle, looks well done. I like it all except for the antler cheek piece thingy. :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 02:55:21 AM »
It definitely has the NC Piedmont look.  That patchbox guilloche work is a signature.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 03:23:31 AM »
Who made it?
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flint45

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »
This rifle was made by Fred Stutzenberger. It's stocked in walnut, and silver mounted. I met Fred several years ago at a muzzleloader shoot. I had been reading his articles for years, in Muzzleloader and Muzzle Blast magazines. Anyway, he has helped me a lot in my rifle making. I'm on rifle number five, and problem twenty five. (Or so it seems) He's always glad to help. I've learned a lot from him, and the folks on here as well. Mike, I really like your rifles, and your quick wit too.

Mike Gaddy

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 02:55:10 PM »
Hi,
With that mighty fine looking rifle, you will only be able to hunt BLIND squirrels.  ;D
Please tell us more about your rifle.
Length, weight, barrel.
Personally, I really like a .36 cal. muzzle loading rifle.
Very easy to load and shoot ( little recoil, flat shooting )
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 07:39:30 PM »
This rifle was made by Fred Stutzenberger. It's stocked in walnut, and silver mounted. I met Fred several years ago at a muzzleloader shoot. I had been reading his articles for years, in Muzzleloader and Muzzle Blast magazines. Anyway, he has helped me a lot in my rifle making. I'm on rifle number five, and problem twenty five. (Or so it seems) He's always glad to help. I've learned a lot from him, and the folks on here as well. Mike, I really like your rifles, and your quick wit too.

Mike Gaddy
That's the best Stutzenberger gun I've ever seen.

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 11:56:41 PM »
If the note on the cheek piece "thingy" is in referance to the addition of the bone or ivory on the surface to the flat part of the cheek piece then all I can say is I like it but yet I think it might be toned down a bit.  I added a small length of ivory to the flat part on my Kibler rifle.  It is a much more subdued color and I think it adds a lot.  Nothing fancy but yet something different. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 03:30:57 PM by Molly »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 12:34:56 AM »
It's just me, I don't like white things on guns. I have seen an old gun where most of the parts were made out of bone, but the bone is all mellowed out now and tolerable.

Offline flint45

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 06:17:35 AM »
OldFord, the rifles specs are 60 1/4 inches OAL. It has an H&H barrel,44 inch. L&R Manton lock that sparks like crazy. About 7 pounds by my scale. It has four barrel keys. All the hardware except the muzzlecap and two forward pipes is engraved. Sorry for the poor pictures.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 02:11:42 PM »
Hi & thank you for sharing the pictures of such a fine looking rifle.
You have to be very proud of such a fine gun.
How well does it shoot at fifty yards?
Best regards!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 07:35:56 PM »
I agree Fred has definitely been working on his gun building skills. This gun is beautiful. Might be a little too eye catching for squirrel hunting, but will get some attention at the next shoot.

Hungry Horse

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 02:22:44 AM »
Wow, beautiful rifle.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Curly Bean

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
Beautiful rifle, well made and appointed.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 04:14:09 PM »
Beautiful rifle!

Alas, today is the last day of squirrel season here. I still have rabbits until mid March though.

Mike