Author Topic: Another ramrod question  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Another ramrod question
« on: January 28, 2019, 03:58:11 PM »
I don't like the look of the metal end of the rammer sticking out. If your rod is tapered, the metal end is inside the hole and the larger end is out. This is no problem loading balls. But what if you're loading shot? If the big end is smaller than bore size then you pretty much have to use a jag, right? But then you would have to unscrew the jag every time or leave the RR out.
Your thoughts appreciated.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Flint62Smoothie

Re: Another ramrod question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 04:11:53 PM »
Threaded brass insert on the bulbous end ...
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 10:12:39 PM »
I don't like the look of the metal end of the rammer sticking out. If your rod is tapered, the metal end is inside the hole and the larger end is out. This is no problem loading balls. But what if you're loading shot? If the big end is smaller than bore size then you pretty much have to use a jag, right? But then you would have to unscrew the jag every time or leave the RR out.
Your thoughts appreciated.

I am like you, can't abide the metal end sticking out so I made a jag to load shot in my fowler. Yes I have to screw it on and off but I prefer that to having it hanging out on the end of my ram rod. If testing leads I use my range rod.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 12:07:17 AM »
I only load shot occasionally in my 20 gauge Penn fowler, so when I made my rammer, I used a 1/2" hickory blank and tapered it quickly to 3/8".  The inner end carries the rod tip for a jag or worm, and I can use the 1/2" bulbous end to push the wads down the bore.  For loading ball, I patch with .018" denim and a .609" ball, and push it down with the small end.  There's nought but wood on the outbound end.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 03:55:59 PM »
I sold my smoothbore last year and am putting together another one. It's .54 bore. I think the rammer was 3/8" on the small end. It was fine loading balls but I do remember I didn't like the way the tip felt on the palm of my hand when loading shot with the bigger end.
But it's been several years since I shot it. I might be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I probably won't have the new gun stocked for a couple months.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 10:19:45 PM »
Yeah- beware 3/8" rods.  At Hefley some years back, I was loading my .40 with it's 3/8" rod. After pushing the ball onto the powder
We were talking about something, and distracted, I gave the end a little smack with my palm. UhhOh. I said look, pinched my palm a little
and pulled my hand off the muzzle- the rod came out of the bore with my hand as the rod's end was stuck into my palm - about a 1/2" or so,
 I guess the metatarsals stopped it.  Before extracting the rod out of my hand, I had to get some flannel cleaning patch (lucky to have that) from
 my tote bag, make a wad to cover the hole, then extracted the rod from my hand, shoved the wad of cotton into the hole and bound my hand up.
We carried on with the trail walk. It was almost healed by the end of rendezvous, but did sting a bit when it got BP in it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 03:59:49 AM »
A horn tip on the rammer is traditional on a sporting gun, Or, just make a ramrod with plenty of flare.  I can't even imagine screwing a jag on and off all the time!

I think some of you chaps have been around rifles too long! LOL.

Best,
Meself.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 04:34:11 AM »
Why unscrew the jag. Just shorten the ramrod, attach an adapter and keep jag on. As long as it doesn't protrude past the end of the barrel all is fine.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 04:04:09 PM »
A piece of cow bone turned and flanged make a nice ram rod tip, also a piece of cow horn turned also makes a nice tip.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline JBJ

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 06:28:30 PM »
A horn tip on the rammer is traditional on a sporting gun, Or, just make a ramrod with plenty of flare.  I can't even imagine screwing a jag on and off all the time!

I think some of you chaps have been around rifles too long! LOL.

Best,
Meself.

AMEN!
J.B.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 12:13:19 AM »
Horn tip just posted is really nice touch.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 12:36:12 AM »
I've done several antler tips like this one on my smoothbore ramrod.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.