Author Topic: M Miller  (Read 2742 times)

Ridge

M Miller
« on: January 29, 2019, 04:19:23 AM »
For about a year now I've been looking at a muzzleloader that has been hanging on the wall of my local gun shop.  I've resisted the urge to handle it because we are in the middle of a home remodel and I just didn't want to spend money on a new rifle right now.  Saturday I drove by and decided to take a closer look. 

The man who owns the shop is a very good rifle maker in his own right.  He told me that he didn't know the maker of this rifle, but that he had picked it up at a what he called a "fancy gunshop" while travelling west.  It was on consignment and he got a really good deal on it.  As soon as I shouldered it I knew I had to own it.  It just felt right.    At that point it was really just me trying to hide my enthusiasm while negotiating a price.  Long story short, he dropped 700 dollars off the asking price and I couldn't resist. 

The gun was essentially unfired.  Just a few marks on the frizzen.  Barrel shines like a mirror.  It has a coned muzzle and a hand scraped finish.

Sorry for the crappy pictures.  I shoot rifles a lot better than I take pictures.  It looks much nicer in real life.

I want to get a horn and pouch that matches the style of the rifle  Anyone want to take a guess on the school?

Hopefully I can get the pics to work;

Offline craigos

• Starting Member
Re: M Miller
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 04:53:07 AM »
yep thats gorgeous .... specs? bore, length etc

Ridge

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 04:59:38 AM »
54 Caliber, 44 inch swamp barrel.  I don't know the maker of the barrel but it has round bottom rifling.

Siler lock.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 05:44:32 AM »
 ;) ;)... Mike Miller's work equals his mentors,..... very fortunate to find her ,.... !!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »
Looks like a Mike Miller to me. That's probably a 3-4K rifle.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 07:30:50 PM »
Excellent find, congrats. 

Hold to the Wind

Ridge

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
Looks like a Mike Miller to me. That's probably a 3-4K rifle.
Without getting too specific, if they sell for that much now, I did really well.

I used to talk to Mike at pricketts fort. Nice guy, and I had assumed it was one of his. I took that part out of my post just in case there was a Melvin Miller that I didn't know about!  Lol