Author Topic: My first antique Longrifle  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
My first antique Longrifle
« on: January 30, 2019, 02:21:14 AM »
Although this is my first post here, I have been reviewing the forum. This place is impressive. There is ton of information and knowledge that is generously shared.
Thank you.
I had an opportunity to by this rifle. What really helped make my decision was that the gun was made in a shop in an area were I hunt and fish, only 15 miles from my home.
From what I understand the maker was Jonathan Nicholas Matthesiee.
I am embarrassed to even try to describe it to you guys. I'm sure you'll educate me. Here it is.  Thanks again,  Dave

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: My first antique Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 02:29:10 AM »
Is it a Jamestown NC rifle?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 02:46:51 AM »
I took it to an antique arms show this past weekend. From what I was told it was made be "J N M" Jonathan Nicholas Matthesiee.  He made guns in Pavia, Bedford County PA.  He was a little eccentric, his guns were a mixture of Bedford/Huntington/Matthesiee style.

dogbest

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 03:06:52 AM »
Nice gun that you can be proud of!

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 03:20:19 AM »
 I saw it from a distance at the show and wanted to take a look at it but you had a crowd around you at the time. That’s a great rifle. Congratulations on your first long rifle. You picked a nice one. Where did you find it?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 03:46:20 AM »
what show were you at with hat rifle?

Offline Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 04:21:56 AM »
Shreckmeister,  I wish I could have met you. The people at the show could not have been more friendly. I didn't know what to expect . I thought, being a small show ,and me not knowing anyone involved, I would be in and out of there in a short time. I was there for an hour. If my wife wasn't waiting in the car four hours would have been better. It reminded me of the way gun shows were 20 years ago.
  I'll have the gun at the 18th Century Artisans Show in Lewisburg this week end. Maybe I'll see you there.

Bigmon, It was the Bushy Run Historic Arms show in Claridge PA, near Pittsburgh  .  The guys did a great job.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 04:22:56 AM »
Dave , Welcome . I'm sure You will enjoy the journey.
Nice rifle ! Most people start lower and work their way up to that .
JIM

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 07:32:05 AM »
What a great start. Congratulations for that nice find and thanks for sharing the pics!
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline wormey

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 06:49:48 PM »
Well Dave, now you are infected!  It will continue to spread and there is no cure.  Treatment consists of buying another one, then another one, you get the picture!  Welcome to the club and enjoy your journey.  Wormey

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 08:10:20 PM »
Comment on photography...

I'm no expert, but I get clearer, cleaner images when I don't use a solid white backdrop, and don't shoot into the light of a window.  Your camera underexposed the item you wanted to shoot, and you lost clarity and detail.

Neat rifle though.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 08:18:56 PM »
I find a gray non-reflective material to be the best backdrop
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Howard

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 02:14:14 AM »
Nice rifle. Looks like a keeper !!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 02:32:15 AM »
Shows you what I know about Bedford rifles! ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 10:19:58 PM »
Mike,
You need to actually read some of those books you bought from me, not just look at the photos. (laughs)

I hope you are doing well.  I recently purchased three great Jamestown rifles, including the only known pill lock by William Lamb and the earliest known example by Thaddeus Gardner. 

Yesterday, I was consigned a whole collection of Salem School rifles, the subject of my next book.

Thanks,

Michael Briggs
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 08:57:20 PM »
This guy is hard to track down, but in looking for him I found John G. Mathesie, gunsmith in Indiana state census of 1880.

Offline Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 09:53:50 PM »
Interesting,  I've tried to find information about Matthesiee on the net. It seems like you spin your wheels , get a headache and crossed eyes then something pops up, but don't expect to find it the next day.
From what I've found (James Whisker's book) and other places, Jonathan Nicholas Mattheseei died in1880 in Bedford County PA. He is buried near Beaverdam Rd. in Bedford County. I found some more info that I have to verify. For a later date.   Maybe J.G.M. was a son.
Thanks,  Dave

Offline ole442

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »
Dave:

That is a very nice rifle you have there. Very nice for your first! Enjoy!
"Ted Kennedy's car killed more people than my gun"

"Ancient hatreds & modern weapons-that's my kind of show" - George Carlin

"Realism can sometimes be mistaken for pessimism!"© 2019