Author Topic: Regarding bugs and horns.  (Read 1138 times)

Offline trentOH

Regarding bugs and horns.
« on: January 31, 2019, 06:39:52 AM »
Do bugs attack horns just from the outside, or do they also attack from within?
I ask because I just bought a horn which seems to have some age to it, and when I blew on its spout, I learned it has some leaks. I don't smoke, but thought I'd light one up and blow tobacco smoke through the horn to see where it leaks. By doing so, will there be a nicotine residue which will kill bugs inside the horn?
Furthermore, how can I dissuade bugs from attacking a horn from the exterior, without marring the horn?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Regarding bugs and horns.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 03:23:18 PM »
 I'm sure if a bug can get inside it will do damage just like it would from the outside. A little Raid will take care of them.
 Do a search on bugs beetles in the Accouterments forum and you will see other posts on the subject.
Here's a couple links:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=45663.msg448614#msg448614

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=43890.msg429331#msg429331

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8876.msg83912#msg83912

Tim C.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:33:09 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 06:15:03 PM »
Freezing it for a couple days will also help kill off anything inside.

I had an infestation of those blankety-blank little blanks that ruined quite a lot of stuff in my apartment last summer. I've taken to keeping horns, fathers, and bone stuff in plastic bags or other sealed containers after hitting them with bug spray.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 08:50:49 PM »
I keep some moth balls around my horns.  I have also put a few moth crystals down inside the horns themselves that are collectible pieces that I don’t use for powder. That has held the moths at bay so far.  Don’t like spraying insecticide directly on them myself.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 10:21:39 PM »
 I should add that I keep mine, right now 80-100? in chests and carpet bags, just spray a little Raid on a rag and put it in with them.
 Those are finished horns, raw horns I just keep in boxes here in the shop with nothing on/with them. 

Tim C.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 06:32:44 PM »
An article I read noted that carpet beetles like to get inside the horn to lay eggs.  The eggs hatch and the young ones eat their way out.

I used Bengal bug spray in and on mine. That Louisiana invented spray is some powerful medicine. 

God Bless,   Marc