Author Topic: Decided To Go To State Shoot Afterall  (Read 3692 times)

Candle Snuffer

Decided To Go To State Shoot Afterall
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:20:49 AM »
With gas prices and everything else on the rise I wasn't sure I was going
to go to State Shoot this year over Memorial Day weekend.  However, after our monthly match today, and a good talk with a good friend and NMLRA State Rep, I decided to make the trip.  

Probably cost me 40% more then I spent last year and the year before to go, but that's the way of it.  Besides, I've made some good friends at State that I enjoy visiting, so a trip there is certainly worth going to see good friends.  I do enjoy the matches and I know I'd kick myself if I were to miss going, so I'm going to go and enjoy.  Participation is down enough at events the way it is, so I'm going to try and beef up the numbers here where I can.

Anybody else change their plans back to where they were before the gas prices hiked and the cost of food climbed?

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Decided To Go To State Shoot Afterall
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 04:22:43 PM »
No!!!     If you wanna play you gotta pay!

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:13:19 PM »
Same here - it's Hefley Creek for us or bust trying.  That's about 3 tanks of gas for the Ford Exploader, round trip. Going to cost Taylor a bit more - his twin tanks are about $220.0 to fill and he gets about 1/2 the milaege I get, pulling his equipment trailer and all.
:  Too, there's a flyfishing trip for Sockeye Salmon coming up very soon. We're lucky with that one as it only takes a tank of gas each way - about $200.00 for however many can fit in the truck. Hopefully, Taylor can make it this year - he REALLY needs to get out fishing with me.  2 of us can bring home $400.00 worth of Salmon.(at $50.00 per fish at the market) Not to mention flyfishing up Rainbow Alley on Babine lake once we have limits of Sockeye.  A few 8 pound rainbows would be nice.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
I do feel if it's at all possible, we need to step up, tighten our belts, and make the trips we use to if at all possible.  Someone has to hold the line and keep the sport going.

I think we've had just about every and anything thrown at us that would wreck other sports, but we keep on meeting the challange and keep the sport alive.  I really feel that's what we have to do so we can continue to keep our tomorrows at the range and events. :)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 06:31:55 AM »
Same here - it's Hefley Creek for us or bust trying.  That's about 3 tanks of gas for the Ford Exploader, round trip. Going to cost Taylor a bit more - his twin tanks are about $220.0 to fill and he gets about 1/2 the milaege I get, pulling his equipment trailer and all.
:  Too, there's a flyfishing trip for Sockeye Salmon coming up very soon. We're lucky with that one as it only takes a tank of gas each way - about $200.00 for however many can fit in the truck. Hopefully, Taylor can make it this year - he REALLY needs to get out fishing with me.  2 of us can bring home $400.00 worth of Salmon.(at $50.00 per fish at the market) Not to mention flyfishing up Rainbow Alley on Babine lake once we have limits of Sockeye.  A few 8 pound rainbows would be nice.

Dad has fish wheel access on the upper Copper River in AK. They are a little softer than the ones I have caught on the Kenai but its an easy way to can or freeze 15-20. Not as much fun as using a rod...

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine