Author Topic: Georgia Bag - Bag #10 - A. Hussey from Richard Allen rifle set  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Marcruger

Georgia Bag - Bag #10 - A. Hussey from Richard Allen rifle set
« on: February 02, 2019, 01:21:02 AM »
Hi Folks,

Ron Hess encouraged me to make a copy of the bag owned by A. Hussey that was paired with the banded horn and Richard Allen rifle of Jones County Georgia.  I believe Wayne Elliott owns the bag currently.  It is going to be paired with Ron's bench copy of the banded horn, and sent to the CLA auction for Lexington in August.  It is noted in "Artful Instruments: Georgia Gunsmiths and Their Craft" as a double pocket bag.  We took this to me it has a divider, as it is a flat-sewn bag.  I did add a near-full-height divider. 

Simple one-piece folded design, but it took a little thinking to make sure I got things in the right order.  It is made of 2-3 ounce cowhide. Button closure and strap adjustment.  Ron made the buttons to match the original.  Dye is Fiebing's Pro Dye, built up in layers to get the russet color I thought the original would have been originally. 

Eric Ewing, does this count as a different color?   :-) 

I hope y'all enjoy the photos.  Best wishes, and God Bless,  Marc

Icoreiny

Re: Georgia Bag - Bag #10 - A. Hussey from Richard Allen rifle set
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 02:53:16 AM »
Another very nice bag Marc!  You’ve been busy.  Your efforts supporting CLA auction is noteworthy.

Steve

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 04:49:16 AM »
Thumbs up, I like the bag very much.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 06:55:40 AM »
Marc, that’s a neat design, and a perfect bag for a southern rifle. The color is great, and those turned horn buttons are really cool...gonna have to make some!  I give it two thumbs up!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 07:03:16 AM »
Neat bag, Marc. Sounds like y’all have another great set going to Lexington this year. I look forward to seeing it. Thanks for sharing with us all, my friend.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 05:53:58 PM »
haha yep, that would be experimenting and getting a cool result. Very nice!
Neat buttons too.