Author Topic: Maryland Half Stocked Rifle  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Maryland Half Stocked Rifle
« on: February 03, 2019, 02:45:34 AM »
I appreciate any help I can get in indentifying the maker of this .50 caliber half stocked percussion rifle. Barrel is 34.5 inches 15/16ths at the muzzle and 1 inch at the breech. It has a patent breach. Single trigger. A very nice patchbox. Thanks.

"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Maryland Half Stocked Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 03:43:39 AM »
 ;) ;).... good to see you're still finding some good ones,... even if they're not Tennessee rifles,...!!! ..... nice two bolt cap-lock,.... and did a chunk of wood come out with the barrel key plate,...??? ... good luck with the I.D.  ..... regards, Cades Cove Fiddler,....

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 07:18:51 AM »
Your rifle looks like it was made in New York. The patchbox is a NY style, the "anchor" lock bolt washer is very much a NY detail, and the single trigger was often used in NY. Rear pipe also was used in NY on some guns. Is there any trace of a name or initials on the top flat of the barrel, perhaps under the plate of the long, later addition rear sight?  Shelby Gallien

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 08:43:12 PM »
Thanks Shelby. I’ll try to get the rear site off and look. It came out of Maryland, but that doesn’t mean anything with respect to its origin, just a starting place.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 09:01:42 PM »
I agree with the New York attribution. This gun is classic New York.