Author Topic: Ron Hess USMC Horn  (Read 1188 times)

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
Ron Hess USMC Horn
« on: February 03, 2019, 05:22:03 AM »
In a recent post Cades Cove Fiddler mentioned that Ron Hess had made 2 USMC horns.  i was the fortunate recipient of the first one.
Back in August, during the CLA Show, Ron and I discussed the horn, which is artifact number 1 in the collection of the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Virginia.  The horn features the earliest known depiction of a Continental Marine Officer.  Ron included my dates of service on the horn.
It is a truly amazing piece and I am very grateful to Ron for doing this for me, he is truly an exceptional artisan and gentleman.
V/R
Todd

Offline aaronc

Re: Ron Hess USMC Horn
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 07:00:16 AM »
Beautiful work
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 02:13:40 PM »
Beautiful horn. And thank you for your service
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 07:25:47 PM »
 8) 8) 8)....  thanx for posting the pix, Todd,... again, let me say that I was privileged to hold this horn and admire Ron's craftsmanship,... it looks like a very well kept original heirloom,... !!!! ...regards,... CCF...

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »
Beautiful horn...an heirloom for sure!  Congrats, and thanks for serving.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 07:56:04 PM »
Greg
you are right about this being an heirloom.  It is a special piece for me.  However there is a part of me that wants to use it not just display it. ::)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 10:06:55 PM »
  Lots of work in that one, looks right. Well done Ron. Thanks for posting Todd.

Tim C.

Offline GA Turner

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 02:04:54 AM »
Thank you for the kind words. This horn was the subject of a HornBook article in 2016. Bill Carter,Don Ferrero and Rick Sheets were allowed access to the original horn at the USMC musuem. Lots of pictures,measurements and notes were taken. The team also created a copy of the horn. These three gentlemen shared  information/encouragement as well as their copy of the horn for me to use. I could not have done this without there help.
The other USMC horn went to a veteran who was one of the Marines stationed at GITMO during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
H.Mack is the horn maker . Not aware of any other signed work by him.
It was a special honor for me to honor their service and as we said in the Navy,always ready to help the Corp.