Author Topic: Two Part N.C. Horn  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Two Part N.C. Horn
« on: February 04, 2019, 07:02:32 PM »
  The idea for this one comes from page 290 of Bill Ivey's North Carolina Schools Of Longrifles 1765-1865. It is 12 1/2" around the outside curve, tip-to-tip it is about 10 1/2. The Walnut butt is held in by Seven wooden pegs, it is about 2 1/2". The tip is Antler and the collar horn both held to the horn by Three iron pins.The top section of the horn is held by Eight wooden pins. Color is Light Brown Oil based Leather dye and Brown shoe polish.
 Horn could have been made this way originally, maybe they didn't have one horn big enough or it could be a repair as in a dog chewed off the tip.

Tim C.

Offline aaronc

Re: Two Part N.C. Horn
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 07:21:25 PM »
I've got that book,..I'll have to look it up. Another interesting and different horn. Your having a strong run with those. -Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline msellers

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 07:48:18 PM »
Tim,
Really like how these are turning out, is great inspiration and apleasure to see. Need to buy a new tap to finish one to show you. Thanks for posting all you get into.
Mike

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 10:03:08 PM »
Too cool buddy. I like it. Could be a repair of two horns on the original? Neat horn for sure. God bless, Marc

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 03:11:57 AM »
That’s just too cool.  I guess we’ll never know if the original maker just needed a bigger horn, was repairing a horn, or just wanted to be different!  I think that’s a very creative piece!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 05:36:26 AM »
Nice job.  That came out well.
David

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 04:18:43 PM »
 Thanks guys. Got a PM asking if the Two parts are from the same horn; no they are Two separate horns.

Thanks Again, Tim

Offline Mick C

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 11:12:52 PM »
That's really niffty.  I have just the rifle it would go with too  :)
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!