Author Topic: Butt plate screw option  (Read 1078 times)

westbj2

Butt plate screw option
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:05:43 PM »
While working on a British match rifle some years ago, I noticed that the butt plate screws were fitted in a way that I had not seen before.  The holes were drilled oversize and filled with lead then the screws were installed.  When the screws came around for timing,
they stopped firmly and precisely in the lead.
Today I mis-drilled a butt plate screw and corrected the issue by drilling out the hole and filling it with lead. Re-drilled the hole and now the screw fits perfectly.
Simple fix
Jim

Offline Top Jaw

Re: Butt plate screw option
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:43:22 PM »
Excellent tip.  Moderators might want to save this one for posterity.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:19:28 PM »
In the past I have drilled a hole out larger, glued in a piece of dowel and re-drilled. This lead way is interesting. I wonder how well it holds.

westbj2

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:51:54 PM »
Justin,
Anticipating that the lead slug may want to pull out, I drilled first hole at about 20 degrees off plumb, then drilled a second hole from the initial start hole but at about 20 degrees and 180 degrees opposite the other hole.  Kind of an "A " shaped plug.  No sign of the plug pulling up.
Jim 

Offline 45-110

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 11:58:33 PM »
I dunno....but leading up a screw hole to fix it sounds like a bad/poor fix.. In 2019 a steel plate could be welded up, a brass one could have a insert soldered in. The British "fix" certainly was not their typical "first class work". Sounds like a repurposed butt plate.
kw

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 01:14:14 AM »
the lead was in wood not holes in steel or brass
living in the hope of HIS coming.......