Author Topic: Pretty nice New England rifle for auction  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Pretty nice New England rifle for auction
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:00:53 PM »
I'm curious.  How accurate were the NE rifles compared to PA Longrifles?  Anyone have experience shooting them?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline rich pierce

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:23:55 PM »
I'm curious.  How accurate were the NE rifles compared to PA Longrifles?  Anyone have experience shooting them?

I hear they could not hit a darn thing in Pennsylvania from Massachusetts!   ;D
St. Louis, Missouri

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 12:28:17 AM »
Hi Shreckmeister,
I don't know how well those early NE rifles shot. I personally don't care for the feel or balance of the originals I've handled.  However, I've only shot a modern version of one.  That said, by the Civil War New England rifle makers like Wesson and Brockway, made some of the most accurate muzzleloaders ever built and one of the most active areas of competitive long range target shooting was Vernon, Vermont.

dave 
"Flick Lives!"

Offline burnt

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 01:40:41 AM »
Is the trigger pin dislodged because of that break thru the wrist and lock panel?

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eric Kettenburg

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 02:07:26 AM »
I can only assume this was made right from the get-go as a target gun because I see no provision for a rammer - no rod pipes?

Offline lexington1

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 12:29:51 AM »

When I was younger I had a Lane and Reed NE rifle that I shot quite a bit. It shot pretty well and had decent fit and feel to it. Accuracy I'm sure depended on who made the barrel, load used, etc.  It varied greatly, among makers from all regions. Kind of like today :P

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:38:23 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 08:12:46 PM »
Most of them I have seen are of a larger caliber 56 or more.  Someone led me to believe most of them were made for militia members.  Any truth to that?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 01:03:55 PM »
When I was shooting, my favorite flintlock was a Henry Pratt rifle probably made c. 1816-1820. It shot consistently well even though the original bore was a little rough. One year, I won the RI State championship with that rifle (keeping in mind that there aren't many competitors in RI). It was the only original rifle being shot in that match. They do tend to be a little muzzle heavy, which I like. But, I have no experience with Pennsylvania rifles so I'm unable to make any objective comparison.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 02:30:16 PM »
Most of them I have seen are of a larger caliber 56 or more.  Someone led me to believe most of them were made for militia members.  Any truth to that?

That was the late Bill Guthman's theory and it is one I agree with. I think that practically all of the flintlock rifles, and some of the very early percussion rifles were made for militia rifle companies (which were quite popular in New England) or for individual members of those companies. I've had two with rifle company numbers on them and have seen half a dozen more.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »
I wonder if there are militia company records available? My rifle has the name GW Smith nicely engraved on the patch box. It might be worth researching. Too bad the last name is so common

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 08:45:19 PM »
The Militia rosters survive. When I saw them, they were still tied in bundles as stored in the Adjutant General's office. I doubt they had ever been unwrapped or read since they were used in 1912. There is a printed book, The Massachusetts Volunteer Militia in the War of 1812, printed in 1912 on the centennial of the war. It is quite rare but I do have a copy. I'm in England at the moment but in a few weeks, I will be home and able to look the name up.

The book includes the enrolled militia as well as the volunteer militia so it is comprehensive. If the name is listed, it will also include what unit he belonged to. If the man did not serve in the War of 1812, he won't be there but my guess is that most militiamen of the 1812 period were still in the militia five or ten years later.

jp
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:48:33 PM by JV Puleo »