Author Topic: Is this now firewood?  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Mike from OK

Is this now firewood?
« on: February 10, 2019, 01:52:38 AM »
I probably already know the answer...

And of course it's my last piece of walnut... I do have a few pieces of maple I could try.

Mike

Offline FDR

Re: Is this now firewood?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 03:53:13 AM »
Thin super glue! Tape the end and fill the crack. May have to fill it multiple times to really get it full. The bulk of the crack will be inside the horn and the super glue will show as a line in the exterior plug.

Fred

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:17:35 AM »
Just an observation but walnut shouldn't show so much tear-off unless your gouges are getting dull. I would sharpen them to get better cutting and shaping.b
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline elk killer

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
Yes way sharper tools
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 02:24:22 PM »
You might try a hose clamp along with the glue, it might close up the crack somewhat.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline J Henry

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 02:25:55 PM »
 Looks like designer/fancy fire wood to me.Cut you r loss and start over,less time invested. Sometime you just have to know when to quit.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 04:28:48 PM »
Just an observation but walnut shouldn't show so much tear-off unless your gouges are getting dull. I would sharpen them to get better cutting and shaping.b

Noted, and done.

Mike

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
 I would put some thin Super glue on it followed by some medium and maybe thick, the thin will wick the thicker down into the crack, my take a couple applications. I wouldn't toss it.

Tim

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 11:53:04 PM »
I believe some stain in the crack would be in order before the glue, if you plan to stain the plug. Stain will not take over super glue. Just a thought. God bless, Marc

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 03:29:38 AM »
Glad it was a good suggest and I envy you having access to a wood lathe, something I used to enjoy immensely.

Noted, and done.

Mike

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 06:20:58 PM »
Considering the time involved in attempting to repair it and the chances of failure down the road----- I'd start over. Wood is cheaper than your time.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline wmrike

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 06:29:17 PM »
Acraglas will flow about anywhere when it starts cooking.  Add some tint to it.  Maybe finish off the repair by stuffing a slurry of epoxy and sawdust in the crack before everything hardens.

ron w

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 09:31:02 PM »
yes, acraglass was my first thought as well. a wrap or two of masking tale and a hose clamp around the shank. one other thought might be to not clamp it. clamping a crack like that doesn't eliminate the stress in the wood and a new crack might just appear somewhere else. just fill it with acraglass  and let it cure. then adjust the diameter as needed.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 11:45:14 PM »
Glad it was a good suggest and I envy you having access to a wood lathe, something I used to enjoy immensely.

Noted, and done.

Mike

My lathe is junk. Even with good sharp tools my finished product leaves quite a bit to be desired... Pretty sure the spindle bearings are gone. I need to do a tear down and replace them.

But honestly I have my eye on a new one anyway... One that does everything I need it to and that I don't have to cobble together to get less than satisfactory results.

Mike

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 12:38:05 AM »
 Take some 80 paper a backing a stick or file and see what you get when you sand it down to about 220.
Also try holding a pencil on the tool rest so it just touches the piece, turn it on and see if the pencil mark goes all the way around.

Tim

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 01:09:45 AM »
Take some 80 paper a backing a stick or file and see what you get when you sand it down to about 220.
Also try holding a pencil on the tool rest so it just touches the piece, turn it on and see if the pencil mark goes all the way around.

Tim

I sanded it yesterday and got it looking fairly acceptable... I may super glue it and see how it holds. For now I have set it aside.

I have some cherry and some spalted maple I could use to turn another base plug. But my lathe is in such bad shape that I may just hold off and wait until I buy a new one.

I put a dial indicator on the spindle and the TIR was about .001 Which is OK considering that was the naked spindle turning by hand... Put a chuck on it and things get wobbly quick. That is partly the fault of the cheap crummy chuck, but putting a load on the spindle bearings makes it worse.

I'm just going to have to fork over some money for decent equipment.

Mike

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 03:15:20 AM »
Yes, unfortunately you get what you pay for. I think that is a life lesson we all learn the hard way whether it's lawn mowers or wood lathes.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 03:18:14 AM »
Yes, unfortunately you get what you pay for. I think that is a life lesson we all learn the hard way whether it's lawn mowers or wood lathes.

I didn't even pay for it! LOL

It's a Craftsman model that had belonged to my grandfather. I've limped along with it for long enough... Time to get serious.

Mike

grizg

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 06:56:02 AM »

I didn't even pay for it! LOL

It's a Craftsman model that had belonged to my grandfather. I've limped along with it for long enough... Time to get serious.

Mike

Time for a period correct spring pole lathe...  ;)

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 07:47:48 AM »
Pass. LOL

Mike

Greybear

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 06:51:15 PM »
You could mix the sawdust with hide glue and make a wood putty. Pack it in the crack and when dry sand it out with the rest of the piece. The repair will pretty much disappear and it will take a finish just like the original wood.

Offline jackley

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 07:20:48 PM »
All is not lost.  Drill, dowel and glue the plug end, glue with with super glue the cap end clamp let dry and finish.

Jerry

Offline FDR

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 07:58:19 PM »
Get a Jet 1221 and you will not be sorry! I bought 2 others before I found the Jet. Best decision I ever made!

Fred

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 01:18:41 AM »
Get a Jet 1221 and you will not be sorry! I bought 2 others before I found the Jet. Best decision I ever made!

Fred

I have my eye on a Laguna Revo 1216. I like the variable speed... 50-3500 rpm. And the option of outboard turning objects up to 16".

They're proud of them though.

Mike

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 01:33:31 AM »
Ditto on the Jet. I gun traded into a 12x20 Jet last fall, and love it. The only thing I’m going to change is to add a variable speed controller...then it will be perfect.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson