Author Topic: Is this now firewood?  (Read 3234 times)

ron w

Re: Is this now firewood?
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 03:15:40 AM »
actually if it's a craftsman old enough to belong to your grandfather, it's probably worth rebuilding with new bearings as long as parts aren't broken. the older craftsman lathes were Atlas clones and of decent quality for recreational or home hobby use. on place that craftsman was guilty was in saving money on bearings on alot of their tools. there was once a saying that,....." if you bought a craftsman tool go to a bearing shop and buy bearings for it right away". that was the beginning of the end for craftsman tools.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 03:20:06 AM »
It isn't an Atlas clone. It is one of their newer models that my grandpa got from another family member... Probably made very late 80's or even in the 90's.

It is functional, but not a quality product... New bearings are about the smallest issue that I could fix...The bed is a t-shaped piece of steel instead of cast iron, the tail stock doesn't align with the spindle, some parts are missing and no longer available. I could spend a fortune and lots of time and effort trying to make it work... But I would be better suited to just save for a new and better lathe with all the features that I need.

I checked the data plate...

Model # 113.228360

Mike

ron w

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 03:57:24 AM »
yah, unfortunately in the years before Sears went belly up, they made a poor decision to try and save their necks by expanding their tool dept. with less than desirable machinery.   even the venerable "craftsman wrench" line got an infusion of cheap Chinese made wrenches. I lost all hope and desire for anything Craftsman during that time.. i'm glad i bought all my wrenches right out of high school. I had a wood lathe that my dad bought way back when, a Craftsman,.... it was an Atlas clone and a really nice lathe. two rail cast iron bed, cast iron tailstock and head with 3 spd. pully. I remember he bought it for 50 bucks, from a fellow he worked with and it was already several years old when he did. I was about 8yrs. old when he got it. my dad passed away when I was 17 and  I ended up selling it in my early 20's during a time I thought I was not going to do any wood work any more. I kick my self everyday for that stunt !....our heads do stupid things when we are young.