Author Topic: Coat of arms Question  (Read 1494 times)

Offline aaronc

Coat of arms Question
« on: February 22, 2019, 06:03:21 PM »
I presently can't find it but recently read in (I think) in one of my books that a scrimmed  British Coat of Arms on a powder horn was "bastardized". I took the meaning to be the symbol was pro revolution / anit-British.

Is this correct ??,.... and if it is what significant change in the British Coat of Arms would make it obvious to the observer that the symbol was meant to be Anti British ?

I have no desire to ever do a pro British horn or scrimshaw piece,...yet I find the British Coat of Arms symbol very attractive and something I would consider scratching,...so if there is a version that would present itself as "Pro Liberty/Anti British" I would be interested in learning more.

Thanks-Aaron

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:16:00 PM by aaronc »
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Elnathan

Re: Coat of arms Question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 01:35:20 AM »
Well, a bend or baton sinister was often used to indicate illegitimate birth, but I suspect that wasn't what was meant there.

I think we'd have to see the design itself to understand what was meant. I wouldn't assume that it was necessarily anti-British, either.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline John Proud

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 04:04:05 AM »
aaronc

I believe a "bastardized" British Coat of Arms has the lion emasculated, generally scratched out or XXed over. I have seen several originals and expect that it was common for Patriots to do in order to continue using a horn decorated with the British Arms after 1775 or so.

John

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 05:05:06 AM »
Well, a bend or baton sinister was often used to indicate illegitimate birth, but I suspect that wasn't what was meant there.

I think we'd have to see the design itself to understand what was meant. I wouldn't assume that it was necessarily anti-British, either.

aaronc

I believe a "bastardized" British Coat of Arms has the lion emasculated, generally scratched out or XXed over. I have seen several originals and expect that it was common for Patriots to do in order to continue using a horn decorated with the British Arms after 1775 or so.

John

Thanks for the responses.  As stated I believe I saw this in one of my powder horn books...with the caption worded to make me think it was derogatory toward the British. I was looking for other information so didn't spend a lot of time looking at the details. I'll have time early next week to try and find the source...if I can I will locate and post.

John..thanks again...it sounds like something I may would use...although perhaps not common..if its correct I like the idea.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 07:48:04 AM »
Aaron, I seem to remember that too, but sorry to say I don't remember where.  I'll look around too.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline aaronc

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 08:25:22 AM »
Aaron, I seem to remember that too, but sorry to say I don't remember where.  I'll look around too.

-Ron

Thanks Ron.....I'm going to try Sunday night if I can , just gotta get a couple of work shifts over.

Best Regards, -Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 09:33:25 PM »
I have seen the British coat of arms altered to show the Lion,and unicorn, shot full of arrows. Also smetimes the ribbon reflects things other than the British motto.

Hungry Horse