Author Topic: So I made a Shot Flask  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Greg Pennell

So I made a Shot Flask
« on: February 11, 2019, 05:57:12 AM »
I’m in the planning stages for building a fowler.  I have a 16 gauge Rayl barrel, a Chambers colonial lock, and plenty of wide, thick black walnut planks. What do I do first?  Always one to get the cart before the horse, I made a shot flask.  ::)

I thought about a shot snake, and may still make one, but since my primary use will be turkey and small game, I just wanted something to hold a dozen or so loads of shot in a small bag (also, yet to be made).  I looked at some on Tracks website, but to my mind they were a bit large.

For starters, I turned a “bottleneck” and plug out of maple. Then using the circumference of the neck, I worked out a paper pattern, and cut two sides out of a piece of veg tanned belly (it’s fairly heavy leather, probably 7-8 ounce).

Next the edges are beveled, stitches laid out, punched, and saddle stitched together. The neck is a nice snug fit!

Then, the flask body was soaked in water, and packed with dry sand to stretch it into shape, and allowed to dry for a couple days. Then the sand was emptied, and the neck (stained and finished in the meantime) was glued in place with some Tite Bond II.

Finally, I melted a couple ounces of beeswax and painted it on the flask body, and melted it into the leather with a heat gun. I did two coats, then buffed it with an old towel when it cooled off. Finished!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
Re: So I made a Shot Flask
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 06:20:37 AM »
Greg,
Thank you for sharing your process.  That is one to keep in the tutorials.  Very nice.
V/R
Todd

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 06:56:26 AM »
Very informative and a very nice end result.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Mikeh

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 03:25:57 PM »
Greg, you done a mighty fine job on that flask. Thats a dandy!  Mikeh
Mikeh

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:22:08 PM »
Looks good Greg! Show us that fowler.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 06:17:32 PM »
 Nice work Greg, looks Great.

Tim

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »
Very nice flask Greg, you will need this as soon as the fowler is finished....

Regards
Frank Barker

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 12:40:11 AM »
 Greg. let's let this run here for a couple days, then I will edit it and move it over to the "Tutorials" forum.
Ok?

Tim 

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 02:31:35 AM »
Sure thing Tim...I’m glad you guys like it, and glad to be able to contribute something useful. It’s a quick little project that can be as plain or fancy as you want!  Thanks for the nice comments!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »
Excellent work and a very nice flask!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 06:30:19 PM »
Super nice!  So that attractive honey brown finish is achieved with only a couple of coats of beeswax, no stain?   Wow, I'm going to remember that.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 12:46:26 AM »
Mick, that’s correct, I didn’t use any stain at all. I didn’t quite know what to expect, color wise, but I’m pretty pleased with how it came out.

Greg

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 07:56:56 AM »
Greg, The problem with using sand as a shaping agent is that it takes forever and a week to get all the sand out of the leather, hence it follows some of the shot into the barrel of your fowler when you load.  I used to do it that way and finally changed to nickel plated #5 shot.  Seems to work much better and even if you don't get all of it out of the bag when you empty it, so what?  Shot is shot, eh?  One or two pieces of #5 shot is not going to blow your pattern.
That is the way I have done it for many years and many, many shot and ball flasks, but as always, YMMV.
John