Author Topic: Great British Gunmakers  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Vicanddogs

• Starting Member
Great British Gunmakers
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:05:18 PM »
Hi Gentlemen   Which edition would show the best examples of fullstock English sporting rifles
Thanks
Vic
Vic

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Great British Gunmakers
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:46:28 PM »
Hi,
What period or kind of full stocked English rifles, late flint, late 18th century, mid-18th century, early 18th century?  They all differed. GBR 1740-1790 John Twigg and the Packington guns has a couple of full length photos of two rifles by Twigg from the late 18th century.  It also has breech and lock area photos of several others mostly from the late 18th century.  The Griffin volume has a few mid-18th century rifles but no full length photos.  Same goes for GBG 1540-1740.  Some breech and lock area photos but no full length ones.  The single best source for a full stock mid-18th century English rifle is the Turvey rifle in Rifles in Colonial America.  Visit Lewis Drake's website and the Flintlock Collection website because they sometimes have one or two full stocked rifles.  British rifles made during the 18th century are somewhat rare, which is why there are so few photos readily available.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Vicanddogs

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:04:00 PM »
Thanks Dave  I have rifles of colonial america and have looked at the turvey gun . I have an English sporting stock ordered from Dave Keck should be here in a few weeks. Looking for as many pictures as I can find before I get started. I would have gone with Chambers kit but I wanted a .62 cal. I have saved pics of I think 3 guns from this site one is yours I believe.
Thanks again
Vic

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:16:13 PM »
Vicanddogs,  have you been in touch with Dave Keck recently?  I also have a stock and barrel I had sent to him last October. He told me he was very backed up and it would be after January some time. I am hesitant to call him since I don't want to disturb him unnecessarily. Given my increasingly poor memory I can't remember whether he took my phone or address. I'm probably worrying for nothing but I do that the older I get.  :)

Offline Vicanddogs

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 10:36:50 PM »
Rick I last talked to him in December and he told me then it would be a couple of months so I’m hoping to hear something by the end of February
Vic

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 12:37:01 AM »
Thanks Vic. Guess I'll just wait. Gotta plan my winter projects better from now on.  ;)

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 01:21:06 AM »
Is this the site of the English Longrifle Association or the American Longrifle Association. Just wondering???????

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 01:40:03 AM »
Is this the site of the English Longrifle Association or the American Longrifle Association. Just wondering???????
We talk about German and French guns here quite a bit too. Is that OK?  ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 01:59:18 AM »
NO

Offline Vicanddogs

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 02:14:20 AM »
Is it ok to talk about foulers
Vic

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 02:48:14 AM »

Most all guns foul.

Fowlers are an acceptable topic.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 04:02:33 AM »

Most all guns foul.

Fowlers are an acceptable topic.

:o
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 04:09:03 AM »
shortbarrel

If you have an issue with something posted you are welcome to report it to a moderator and let us deal with it.As you are not a moderator please don't make posts as if you are.......This is a perfectly acceptable subject!!!

Mitch Yates

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 10:44:12 AM »
NO
Uh Oh, somebody is having a non happy day.... ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline AMartin

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 11:52:59 AM »
Hey Shortbarrel ...

A bit touchy are we .... ?

Is it okay to yap about a gun that might be built here in America or rather a restock using European hardware and components  ??

I was in Germany last year and handled a fair number of early German flinters ... mostly from 1680's to the 1730's .. great stuff !!
Now I'd like to see the Short British rifles someday, the ones out of the book ..
Keep learning , hang in there you'll get it !!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:08:08 PM by AMartin »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 04:46:22 PM »
The euro/brit guns were incredibly important in getting the KY rifle were it ended up. Well, more importantly the men that were trained in Euro/Britain that brought their skills here and influenced everybody else. Things might have been much different if A. Albrecht, J Dickert and many others didn't bring their Euro training with them.

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 10:19:18 PM »

My apologies sir. I had no intention of offending anyone. I neglected to mention that the stock I have ordered from Dave Keck is also for an English Sporting Rifle.  I was impressed by Smartdog's ESR that I saw at Dixon's this year.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:22:24 PM by rick/pa »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 11:23:23 PM »
Hi Rick,
You have no need to apologize for anything. The mission of this site includes discussion of guns from countries such as England, France, and Germany that influenced long rifle styles and evolution.  That someone would object to your discussion is mind boggling.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 11:45:53 PM »
Thanks Dave. I don't know if you remember me from Dixon's but you were kind enough to let me handle your fowler that you had on display and explain some details of its construction. Your ESR that was displayed with it is what gave me the idea to do one myself.  I can't even begin to equal your level of work but I try to learn from each one.