Author Topic: where can I find a hook breech plug for a 7/8 barrel  (Read 992 times)

Offline recurve

where can I find a hook breech plug for a 7/8 barrel
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:06:24 AM »
I can't seem to find a new(to me) breech plug for a hooked 7/8 .50 gtm barrel flint  . I  Asked Mr Dixon no luck . or a 7/8 plug.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 12:09:54 AM by recurve »

Offline Kevin Houlihan

Re: where can I find a hook breech plug for a 7/8 barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 03:42:42 AM »
You'll probably have to make one or have one made.  I was asked by a friend to fit a new barrel and hooked breech plug to a production Traditions Hawken flint rifle.  I bought a standard breech plug and cut and filed the tang into a hook, basically matching the old barrel's hooked breech.  Once it was breeched I found that the center of the pan intersected the breech threads.  My friend Clint and I (mostly Clint  ;)) counter bored the breech plug similar to Blacksmoke's drawing and installed a liner.  Never had a single problem with that rifle.
Good luck,
Kevin

Offline crankshaft

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 03:50:03 AM »

The Hawken Shop has 15/16..you can file it down.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 03:50:12 AM »
Were you wanting a patent style TC hawken style breechplug with hook or just a regular breechplug with a hook at the rear? 

If a regular hook is what you seek get yourself a 5/8 x 18 grade 8 bolt at Tractor Supply, Farm and Fleet, or eBay and install it in your barrel, saw off the excess and match it up to an existing hooked breech with a grinder and a file.

Shouldn't be to hard to do especially if you have a hooked breech plugged barrel to measure and copy from. If not you can remove the tang to get it ground/ filed correctly by using it to check for fit.

Bob