Author Topic: Black powder and coyotes  (Read 2827 times)

Daryl Pelfrey

Black powder and coyotes
« on: February 13, 2019, 06:41:29 PM »
Do any of you take a muzzeloader to hunt coyotes?  When calling the coyotes.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
Re: Black powder and coyotes
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:02:22 PM »
I use my .36 cal BP rifle when calling coyotes here in CT.  On state land, we are not allowed to use any rifle larger than 22 magnum rim fire.  I always found that coyotes are pretty tough, and the 40 grain bullet from a .22 mag does not drop them unless they are hit in the head, or you are lucky enough to slip one thru the ribs to the heart.  My .36 loaded with 65 grain round ball with 35 grains of 3f gives me close to 1950 FPS and really drops the yotes with a decent chest shot.  Where I hunt, the cover is thick so shots are between point blank and 40 yards.  I have only had more than one coyote come to the call two times in the past 6 years.  I'm not looking for a double, just a good hunt to kill the long winter.

Offline Fyrstyk

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:06:42 PM »
I forgot to add, that on state land the largest muzzle loader permitted for small game and varmints is a .36 caliber shooting patched round ball only.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:23:17 PM »
I could have popped this young one with a sling shot!
But these are city coyotes and never shot at.

John Robbins

Daryl Pelfrey

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 01:21:36 AM »
I've got one double but that. Your right they are stuff. Cool pic THE. Fyrstyk is that 36 a flint.

Offline Fyrstyk

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 02:16:23 AM »
Sometimes I use my Pedersoli Blue Ridge in flint, but most of the times I use an heirloom 1842 Pennebaker .36 caplock.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 02:40:54 AM »
I抦 glad I live in a state that doesn抰 have caliber restrictions on coyotes. They are tough,  and sometimes hard enough to kill cleanly with a fifty, or fifty four, caliber muzzleloader. Mostly because they aren抰 prone to giving you a good target at a reasonable range. I抳e killed two while hunting other game. One while hunting deer, and one while hunting hogs. Both just popped up out of nowhere.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 02:54:02 AM »
I've never gone after coyotes specifically; but did shoot one while deer hunting.  In Georgia they are a very common sight.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline RichG

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 03:35:13 AM »
got one with my .45 Lehigh while antelope hunting. .435 ball through the shoulders at 50 yds and he didn't know what hit him.

Offline Fyrstyk

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 03:52:12 PM »
I like spending some winter days, especially when there is snow on the ground, calling coyotes.  It is too long between the end of deer season and the start of squirrel season here in CT.  I can hunt coyotes all year long, but especially in Feb and March when the breeding season starts.  It seems that the coyotes are more readily called in during that time period.  It is quite exciting to have a coyote come seeking in to your call.  I also call in lots of birds of prey, the occasional fox and fisher, and a few times a bobcat.  Deer sometimes come in to the call, but I don't know what attracts them.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 09:17:43 PM »
I have killed several with my .54.  Most of these were just targets of opportunity while deer hunting.  I do take coyote hunting seriously as we are over run with them and as ya all know they can reek havoc on fawns and even adult deer.  Our cattle guys also lose calves to them so I get pretty nasty with some other highly specialized equipment. 
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

ron w

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 11:52:04 PM »
I live next to a river bottom and I hear them hunting in packs, driving the river bottom all the time.  one or two will hold up down river where a highway crosses and the rest of the pack will drive the river bottom to them. when the drive is done they all celebrate with a pack howl. organized hunts !.

Daryl Pelfrey

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 03:07:15 AM »
Yes sir they are smart critters.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 10:31:26 PM »
In Colorado, if you have a small game license you can kill coyotes all year, in any unit, with any weapon you want.

New for this year is you need to buy a qualifying license before you can buy a big game license. A qualifying license is a turkey license or a small game license which you can also combine a small game and fishing license.

So, a lot more big game hunters will now have a small game license too. I predict more coyotes being shot with bows, CF rifles, handguns, and muzzleloaders this year.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 04:38:26 AM »
If you really want to attract coyotes there is one way that works like a champ. Coyotes Love house cats. They抣l  track a house cat when more easily caught game is readily available. So, if you smell like a house cat, the coyotes will defiantly look you up. I found this out on an early morning deer hunt in Northern California. The A zone deer season in Lake County is in August, and September, when it is starting to get cool at night, but is still often over a hundred in the heat of the day. I went out one morning before day break and threw my gear in the truck and headed for the hills. I didn抰 go far before I discovered a cat had crawled into the open  truck overnight and urinated on the floorboard. By the time I got to the hunting spot, while running the defroster, to keep the windshield from fogging up. I was thoroughly infused with cat scent. I hiked to my favorite spot, and settled in. A big old dog coyote came trotting down the trail I had just came in on intent on finding the house cat. So intent that when I eared back the hammer on my old Tryon he looked at me like that抯 an odd noise for a house cat to make. The next noise he heard was much louder, and his last.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 05:29:59 PM »
They love gut piles too. Just stake out any big game kills you have and the coyotes will be there.

You might also get a bear to come in and it's the only legal way to bait for bear here in Colorado.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 09:05:17 PM »
Do any of you take a muzzeloader to hunt coyotes?  When calling the coyotes.

No reason it won't work. They are not bullet resistant or anything.

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

ron w

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 09:47:18 PM »
they aren't bullet resitant, but they sure can be hunter resistant. I've sat up in a tree for hours watching a smart one hold up just out of good shot range, because he knew I was up in the tree.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 10:07:34 PM »
How did it know your range? You could have had a CF rifle.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 11:17:36 PM »
After the first shot and one drops, an easy 50 yard shot, the other runs 100yards, stops and looks back - BOOM - 2 down ----- 14 bore rifle, 482gr. ball, 165gr. 2f GOEX and .030" patch - goes right through & exits!  Had I taken the shot at the right time, I could have shot both with the first shot. Maybe next time?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline One Shot

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 05:50:56 AM »
I shoot a couple every year on the farm. But I need to use modern appliances to keep them in check.

ron w

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 04:15:16 AM »
How did it know your range? You could have had a CF rifle.

.....if they are beyond any sort of safe shot distance for a CF rifle,....you wouldn't know they are around.