Author Topic: adjustable strap... buckle in front or back....  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Huntschool

adjustable strap... buckle in front or back....
« on: February 15, 2019, 12:38:32 AM »
Have been working on some bags and was wondering how everyone feels about the placement of the adjustment buckle.  I have seen both on front and on back.  Which , if there is any which, is more appropriate.  Or is it the decision of the shooter.  These are rectangular bags and will likely have the horns attached.

I have gone through all the info I could find and was unable to find a solid statement, if there is one.

Just wondering.....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:12:49 PM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: adjustable strap... buckle in front or back
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 01:30:58 AM »
 Don't really think it matters, suppose it was carried on the Left vs the Right? Think about it, once you get the bag sitting where you want it you are probably not going to unbuckle it. Unless more than one person is going to used the bag and then one may be Right handed and the other Left.

Tim C. 

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 02:45:39 AM »
For the most part I wold put the buckle at the back, leaving more strap room for patch knife, short starter or other attachments. Once it is set for the user probably wont ever need to adjust unless it is for ultra hot and cold weather clothing.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 03:36:20 AM »
If you're trying to be historical,  pic your choice. I have a lot of period images with the buckle in front and it's my preference. I like to lean against trees to get some back support when in the woods and there's nothing worse than a buckle digging in.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 05:03:27 AM »
Thanks so far guys.

Tim: makes I agree

James:  Ypo betchya..... have leaned back and jumped forward when a buckle hit the right spot.

Mike:  about ten days ago we went from 60* down to 0 with windchills well below and then back up to 60* all inside a week..... so changing length is necesserry.  Not that I was out in that "cold snap."

Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
AMM 761
CLA

Online Frank Barker

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 07:05:28 AM »
I have made lots of hunting pouches and the majority of my customers want the buckle to show on the front with a right hand carry. It is just a matter of personal opinion. I am getting ready to make a bag for someone who most of you all would recognize the name and he wants his to show the buckle to the front with a right hand carry.....

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 08:03:08 AM »
I am going to go front, right hand carry.  I like seeing the buckle for some reason...  I have no idea why..... perhaps its like wearing a belt and suspenders...…  LOL
Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
AMM 761
CLA

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 04:26:59 PM »
As stated above, I prefer buckle front but of all the bags I've made in the last 35 years most have requested the buckle to be in the back. Go figure. I also started a Facebook discussion on that subject a few years ago and the majority liked their buckle in their rear.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 07:09:05 PM »
I personally like to have my buckle on the back.  If I'm carrying or cradling a rifle while hunting I want to keep the buckle keeper from marring the stock.  One the other hand, those that have a sling on their rifle have to worry about the same thing when the buckle is located on the back.  Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Dan Akers

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 10:00:26 PM »
I personally like to have my buckle on the back.  If I'm carrying or cradling a rifle while hunting I want to keep the buckle keeper from marring the stock.  .......

Ditto.  I don't have slings on my longrifles.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 10:35:36 PM »
I personally like to have my buckle on the back.  If I'm carrying or cradling a rifle while hunting I want to keep the buckle keeper from marring the stock.  One the other hand, those that have a sling on their rifle have to worry about the same thing when the buckle is located on the back.  Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I cradle my gun often. Never had that problem as I  have the buckle at the sternum

Offline scottmc

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 02:20:41 AM »
I too, have wrestled with this over the years but my opinion based upon looking at pictures and several originals in person is that it was preferred on the back by the old timers.  Most of the pictures and real life specimens you see have the buckle on the back for a right hand carry.  Assuming that most were right handed as is the case today and that they carried their bag on their predominate hand side, that is where my opinion derives from.  Again, just my observation but one I've kept my eye on.  I personally dont like the extra strap on the front and the buckle in the way of a rifle cradle like was already said.  I'm sure there were exceptions as there always are but I think it was favored on the back for the most part.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 03:45:26 AM »
Interesting fact to add.....

My wife, who is way predominately right handed likes her bag on the left.  She wants to do all the pouring powder etc. with her right hand an prefers her bag on the left.  Right brain, left brain.  She uses a belt bag she md many years ago.  Doesn't have anything to do with buckle placement but I thought it was interesting.
Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 04:12:59 PM »
Yep, I am right handed and like a bag on the left.  I just don't like something under my armpit on the side I carry the rifle.  Just preference.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »
  Me too Marcruger.

River Runner

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 06:36:47 PM »
I, too, have wondered where to but the strap buckle on the haversacks I make that have an adjustable strap. When I reenacted Rev War and Civil War the cartridge box always had to be on the right side, haversack and canteen on the left.  Today when I go to gun shows I still habitually wear the haversack on my left.   For civilian personas ( which predate my military reenacting) I always carry my muzzle loading shooting bag on my left side (I am right handed) and my haversack and canteen on right.  I also prefer the buckles to be on my back.  Today, when I gear up I often have to stop and put my brain in gear as to which side which goes on.  Then there is that reaching to my right for a cartridge when I'm wearing the shooting bag.  All my horns are curved for a left hand carry.  I'm just a confused kind of guy, I guess.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 04:05:26 PM »
  I just prefer to pour powder into the barrel with my right hand after pouring into the measure with my left, so for me, that means a left side carry, horn and bag.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 12:52:23 AM »
Depends on what kind of buckle. If it is reflective (polished brass or steel) I prefer to keep it in the back. Most of my hunting is done facing forward, if they sneak up behind me they may see the reflection and I won't even realize I muffed an opportunity.
I try and minimize muffing it.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 08:22:01 AM »
Thanks everyone....
Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Mick C

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 07:08:56 PM »
For me a front facing buckle provides a nice thing to tie off my measure and pick to when I don't keep them in my bag.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 12:10:32 AM »
I guess another thing to consider, which I did not mention, is that the straps on two of the bags will be woven.  With the leather fixtures for the buckle on the back there will need to be some additional leather work done to provide a foundation for attaching other stuff such as patch knife, measure, pick and brush and perhaps ball block.

There is always something else to consider...….
Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 06:08:56 AM »
Hi Bruce,

Jim Webb, who has owned over 200 original bags over the years, shared with me that almost all of these bags had leather straps.  The ones that didn't he is not sure were originally made with a cloth strap.  Just a thought.  I believe it would be easier in the long run to make a leather strap than sew tabs and such to a cloth strap. 

Of course, I am no expert at anything, so take what I say here with that in mind. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 07:55:32 PM »
Marc:

Good point.  I have wondered about the use of any fabric as I do not see it holding up real well over the long haul.  That being said,  I would think a canvas or perhaps very heavy linen might work.  I agree that a leather strap is likely more used then not.  However, and this is just me goofin around, the patterned woven strap is knida neat looking and I guess realistically, its a "could have been" kind a thing.  I dont mind making the extra foundation attachment pieces though I will admit it does take some extra planning and time on the makers part.

I am going to do a bit more research on this.  I like leather straps.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 08:56:09 PM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Dave R

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 04:13:02 AM »
My 2 cents.
I started shooting muzzleloaders right handed 40 years ago with with a hunting pouch on my left side with leather strap over my right shoulder,  That seemed to be ok until my butt plate slipped after my hunting pouch strap slipped and affected my shot in a shooting match! This happened several times thru the years so I switched to right hand hunting pouch carry and that took care of that problem.Like others stating earlier I prefer the buckle to be on my backside to eliminate my gun getting scratched. Being right handed I feel that I have better dexterity with my right hand with right side pouch carry.Also I prefer to have my horn attached to my hunting pouch to simplify matters. Results may vary with YOU!  ;)