Author Topic: Rookie question on shooting matches/competitions  (Read 3170 times)

Adam

Rookie question on shooting matches/competitions
« on: February 15, 2019, 01:24:40 PM »
Hi,

I am still new to long rifle shooting and collecting.  I really enjoy it! Here's a rookie question:

Are there organized target matches for black powder shooting?  If so, how do I go about finding the closest one to where I live?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Adam

Offline Old Salt

• All gave some. Some gave all
Re: Rookie question on shooting matches/competitions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 01:46:35 PM »
The first thing I would do is see if you have a state muzzle loading org., most states do. From them you can check and find a club closet to you. Once you have made contact you can find out. is they monthly shoot and if they have club  rendezvous.
All gave some Some gave all

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 02:35:09 PM »
I see from your profile you are in Annville, PA. Lots of clubs in PA. You can get a directory from the PA federation of black powder shooters or follow the link below:

http://www.pfbps.com/clubs/

Pick one near you and see if they have a website or give them a call.

Dale H

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:38:48 PM by Dale Halterman »

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »
The National Muzzle  Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA) will also post affiliated matches in your area, as well as field reps that can help point you in the right direction in your area.

When you go and or make contact with these folks, do what you did hear and simply tell them you are brand new and would like some help.  Might save you some frustration or perhaps someone chewing on you because you pointed the muzzle up instead of down.

Come to the largest shooting event in the US.  It is the NMLRA match at Friendship IN in June.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 04:00:57 PM »
This one looks like a winner:

http://www.harrisburghunters.org/

Good luck.

Dale H

Offline StevenV

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 01:00:50 AM »
Hi Adam and welcome to the dark side (black powder) ha ha! As Dale said contact the Pa Federation of Black Powder Shooters they have listing of all clubs in Pa that hold black powder shoots, excellent place to start. I shoot predominantly at Blue Mt ( https://www.bluemountainmuzzleloadingrifle.com/) in Shartlesville . We will help you with what ever you want / need to make your gun shoot one hole groups. I have shot at some other local clubs and was more than satisfied, most everyone in this past time is more than happy to help you. Many different forms of shooting, novelty, paper , competitive , cash prizes, trophies, medals ,meat shoots, shooter supplied blanket prizes , woods walks, etc. Any other questions just ask or PM myself. I have been involved in this black powder for almost forty years, with only one regret ..... I didn't start sooner. 
StevenV

Offline yip

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »
 try powder patch n ball at clairton sportman club just south of Pittsburgh Pa, we have 27 targets in the woods that we divide up to 18 for our monthly shoots. our shoots are the 4th Sunday of the month, we award 6 meat prizes for the top shooters after the hillside we have a 25 yd match we award 2 meat ptizes for the top shooters entry is 20 dollars. we hope we see ya there,  check our web site at powderpatchnball
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 08:41:08 PM by yip »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 09:45:45 PM »
try powder patch n ball at clairton sportman club just south of Pittsburgh Pa, we have 27 targets in the woods that we divide up to 18 for our monthly shoots. our shoots are the 4th Sunday of the month, we award 6 meat prizes for the top shooters after the hillside we have a 25 yd match we award 2 meat ptizes for the top shooters entry is 20 dollars. we hope we see ya there,  check our web site at powderpatchnball

Sigh... Jealous.  Where I live we get 5-8 shooters at our matches in Gallatin Co. MT....  Which are held in a cow pasture since the local range rules can't allow MLs.  But our population is a lot less. Whole state is only 1.05 million.  We rank 4th in land area and 44th in population. Which is good. But it does reduce attendance of ALL shooting sports....
I am certainly glad you have that level of interest...
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »
Wow, Dan! Do the other range organizations have a reason for excluding black powder, or is it just an ignorant NO?  I have to say that you may be better off in your cow pasture than on a 21st Century range. I hate it when it rains hot brass and constant muzzle blasts assail your ears. That and I'm not overly sure about a lot of the other shooters. Back in the day, if you shot with 20th Century shooters it was usually a guy who was experimenting with loads or seriously practicing th become a better shooter. Now our range sees a lot of "blasters". Just shooting fast to make noise and see dirt fly as far as I can tell. Maybe the pasture isn't such a bad place after all. I would certainly join you there.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 04:43:53 PM »
I heartily second Roger's comments.
Mark
Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 11:33:01 PM »
We get roughly 135 camps at Hefley Creek range, for "Rendezvous B.C". This is a 10 day shoot.

http://bcrendezvous.ca/

Coming form the States?

http://bcrendezvous.ca/head-north-bc-rondy/

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:36:34 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Adam

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 12:22:52 AM »
Thank you, all, for your assistance!  Harrisburg and Shartlesville look like the way to go.  Already have been contacted from folks from both places.  (The Harrisburg contact I already know through another shooting sport.)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 01:44:03 AM »
When the weather isn't freezing your parts off, we usually shoot our trail every Sunday.  There is hardly a better way to get in touch with the Creator and the camaraderie of your fellows.  But we also only get about a half dozen shooters on average.  It doesn't stop us from having a good time.  At our annual Rendezvous here in our home town, we are lucky to get twenty shooters.
I'm in central British Columbia, Canada, in a city of close to eighty thousand souls.  Our R & G club has over 1400 members.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 07:08:51 PM »
Taylor and Daryl, many thanks for the info about BC.  If I can get my wheels running well, I'd sure like to go west to the Kamloops area for that rondy.
Failing to fix my car, I may be able to borrow a horse and buggy from my Amish friends.  Hopefully, in the summer, the snow will be shallow enough to provide graze....
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 09:24:35 PM »
Lots of grazing right at rendezvous, as long as the horses aren't gun shy. :D

As you can see, it's a family affair.
Sometimes the grass is a bit brown, though.

upload image
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:30:10 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 02:59:49 AM »
It really DOES look like a great family spot, but I would be by myself unless I brought a great-grandson...

And I know a few young Amish girls that would fit right in (but all wearing bonnets) except in the summer, they all go barefoot.  Clothing would be in style though.

So far, I have a late-18th century linen shirt.  Might not be in period costume.

I like the distance between shooter stations.  Most of the time they are so close you rub elbows and get showered with brass - and muzzle blasts!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline BJH

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 05:46:49 PM »
The Harrisburg gang are a fun bunch to shoot with. They also come up to our club to shoot and camp. Union county muzzleloaders. We are in the Pa federation book. And shoot the first Sunday of every month except for May, most of us are at the Lancaster Muddy run Rondyvoo. The last weekend in April is the 18 century market fair at Fort Frederick near Hagerstown Md. A big period encampment and market fair where you can get all sorts of period goods and supplies. My Grand sons an I will be camping there in the period camp. BJH
BJH