Author Topic: Buying from Rock Island auctions  (Read 1360 times)

Cshadle

Buying from Rock Island auctions
« on: February 16, 2019, 04:17:37 AM »
Looking for feedback on buying longrifles from Rock island online auction?

Offline snapper

Re: Buying from Rock Island auctions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 07:35:40 AM »
I have bought quite a few guns from Rock Island.  In fact, 3 rifles today on auction.

I have found that their descriptions are not as accurate as they could be, and I have learned to discount the description, so I will not be disappointed. 

I know when you deal with thousands of guns, it is impossible to be perfect, but I think they have plenty of room for improvement.

But when I am looking at an on line picture of a rifle that could and will sell for thousands and I am considering buying it, I should not have to tell them that the wrist was broken and that it was repaired.  That should be in the description.    I had them have it in hand for a over the phone inspection.  I asked the question about the wrist, and they then added to the description that the wrist had been broken and repaired.  For that rifle it was a difference of several thousands in value.  It was a Alex Henry English Sporting rifle that was cased.

Early on, I would call and complain about the rifles verse the description, but after a while I realized I was not going to change them.

I also have bought from Cowans and Amoskeag and IMO they do a better copy of  accurately describing the rifles or shotguns.

I still do business with them so they are not terrible.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »
I bought my first gun there in '99. I have probably bought literally  near a truck load from them. I live close enough I can do it in person , but I have done it over the phone too. Never had a bad experience, of course I have always gone ahead of time to view the guns in person so there are no surprises. I would be quite hesitant to bid on a lot in the Regional auction with out seeing them in person or having an agent inspect the lot for me, descriptions are pretty brief and don't cover everything you might consider a problem. The Premiere auctions you may bid with confidence as the descriptions are in depth down to the last ding and scratch..
 I even worked there for a short time.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 07:26:28 PM »
I've had mixed results at Rock Island.  A $5k gun gets lots of pictures and a detailed description.  A $500 gun gets a much shorter write up and only a couple of pictures.  I've had better luck from the better dealers on gunbroker, the ones that start with a good description and lots of good pictures can usually be counted on to answer your questions and provide more pictures in a timely manner.  If the pictures suck and the description is short, you're really in a buyer-beware situation.  Rock Island has been getting better with pictures lately.  They do a nice job of packing if they ship it.
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »
As long as you don't wait until the last minute you can always request additional and up-close photos of details.  One of the first rifles in my limited collection came from RIA - a nice Lehigh Schimmel.  I got plenty of nice high-resolution photos, and a lengthy Q&A session via email.  If an auction house won't extend you similar concessions then you have to ask yourself why...and perhaps walk away.