Author Topic: hello/introduction  (Read 1773 times)

smk75

hello/introduction
« on: February 16, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »
Good morning everyone. My name is Shawn Price. I'm a recent transplant from southern California to Missouri and have, over the years fallen in love with the American long rifle. I am seriously considering building one from blank stock to finished rifle and would like any advice on tools(chisels, drills, etc), techniques, reading resources, stocks/vendors. I'm ready to purchase tools, and the whatever else   required and would like a basic  roadmap towards success and an enjoyable journey. Having said that, where would be the best(in stock) vendor for stock blanks? I'd like to all of my own inletting and woodwork.

Thanks for any help along the way.

Offline elk killer

Re: hello/introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 06:06:39 PM »
Welcome  your in the right place
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline RichG

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »
look through the tutorials. there's one on tools needed and Mike Brooks gun building tutorial. A couple on different ways of carving,lots of info. Also books and dvd's on how to.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 06:11:44 PM »
Spend a couple days reading here, you'll get your base of information and be able to make the proper decisions.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 06:26:41 PM »
Welcome aboard. Try to find a builder in the area you're moving to. Most rifle builders will share their knowledge provided you want to learn to build a rifle instead of watching them build you a rifle.  There are books that give instructions on building muzzleloaders and reference books with pictures and dimensions to use as guidelines. My first recommendation on books would be Rifles of Colonial America Vols. 1 and 2. American Pioneer video now owned by Muzzleloader Magazine has several videos on building muzzleloaders as does Jim Chambers,James Turpin and others. I would also recommend you purchase a well built kit for your first go at rifle building. Jim Chambers and Jim Kibler come to mind there. I know you said you want to build from a plank but often unless you have a mentor close by this can be a daunting task. Just some general recommendations. Good luck and enjoy. Tim

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 06:30:52 PM »
Buy Recreating the American Longrifle, by Buchelle,
Download Mr Brooks tutorial. 
You'll have the beginnings there.
Don't buy a single tool, piece of wood, or parts, till you decide on style and purpose of the gun you want to build.  Research it,and nail it down before you Willy nilly into this.
Don't know your background or abilities, but you may want to start with something a little easier the first time.  Maybe a Kibler kit for your first.  You will have a well designed, well built gun to start with and look back on when you build from a plank.
In His grip,

Dane

smk75

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 06:40:21 PM »
thanks for  the info so far guys. Ive looked at Track, Kibler, etc. was wondering what your thoughts were on the different kits out there. also, are there wait times or are they generally in stock?

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 06:45:24 PM »
Welcome.  You are in the right place to make a rifle. 
http://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/tutorial.pdf
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 07:02:01 PM by Afghanvet »

smk75

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 06:58:29 PM »
brooks tutorial? anyone got a link?

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 07:21:03 PM »
Welcome to the best forum on the interwebs.  Afghanvet just posted the answer to your question above your post but here it is again.

http://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/tutorial.pdf

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 07:48:28 PM »
brooks tutorial? anyone got a link?

All our tutorials are in the tutorial forum. Plant more than Mike's.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

smk75

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 08:29:13 PM »
thanks all. very much appreciated.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 08:59:51 PM »
Sean, welcome aboard!  You will find a great bunch of folks here that are more than willing to share their knowledge and abilities.
Building, decorating, shooting, cleaning - all aspects of BP muzzleloading.
I think I have learned more in the past 8 or 9 months than I did in 5 1/2 years of University.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline jm190

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 09:41:08 PM »
Hi Shawn,
  Welcome to the best long rifle resource you could ask for!

As a fellow beginner I thought I would chime in and offer my thoughts. I've built a Traditions kit(which isn't really a Pennsylvania long rifle), a pre-carve Lancaster kit from Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply and I'm finishing up a creation that started with a blank. My creation is nothing special but it would not be turning out as well as it is if I had not first finished the two kits.

I suggest before doing anything else get yourself the "Rifles of Colonial America, Volumes I and II" as your initial reference material. For building/creating guides I recommend "Recreating the American Longrifle" and "The Gunsmith of Grenville County". I have three other build guides but together they can't match the guidance provided in these two books. Again, these four books have made all the difference in the world. I'll admit my two biggest mistakes so far are not asking enough questions and not studying resources(printed and web) sufficiently.

The people on this forum are so knowledgeable and willing to help it amazes me.

Good luck!
John

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 11:14:13 PM »
Shawn, where in the Show Me State? I’m in St. Louis.
Andover, Vermont

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 11:43:59 PM »
Welcome to ALR, Shawn.  There are lots of interesting reads, here, and they are usually quite informative.  Stay and Enjoy.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 01:19:50 AM »
   Shawn welcome to the ALR !!  It's a great site ! Listen to the people here they are the best !!  Now my two pieces of advice get yourself much of pa whole patience before you even start on your build or kit.
 .Second as other's have stated the Kibler kit is by far the easiest to build. You get a historically correct firearm that you will be very pleased with.
  Last but not least keep going back to rule one. Don't work on your project if your in a hurry or things aren't going right. Walk away and return later. 
  Enjoy your journey.. Oldtravler

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 05:57:11 AM »
Hi, I’m also new here and share pretty much all the questions and concerns of the original post by Shawn. I’ve been reading “The Art of Building the PA Longrifle”, pouring over the tutorials here and elsewhere. Bill Raby’s video tutorials took it over the top for me as far as inspiration and helping me realize I’m competent enough to dive in. I’ve got some experience building Self-Wood Bows, primitive arrows etc. there’s been a couple kit guns completed in my past as well as a love for handling and shooting flintlocks since 1972. I’m heeding the above advice and slow walking my way towards exactly what I want to take on as a project as well as going through my existing tool inventory and evaluating what’s going to be useful and also what might be needed. I’m savoring the anticipation and the knowledge being absorbed as I read through the posts on this wonderful forum. Thanks to all in advance as I wind down the path.  Jeff

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 06:15:41 AM »
thanks for  the info so far guys. Ive looked at Track, Kibler, etc. was wondering what your thoughts were on the different kits out there. also, are there wait times or are they generally in stock?

Shawn,

If you look at the Track of the Wolf on-line catalog you will see that their kits are broken to the list of parts.  They also show what parts are on back order.  I've known folks to wait for months for some of the back ordered parts.  Not to say it's Track's fault, but most of their suppliers are small businesses and they get behind on supplying customers.  I'd suggest you take a good look at Jim Kibler's kits if you like Southern Mountain Rifles or generic Colonial style long rifles.  Jim Chambers has a wider selection but a little more work in building is required.  You won't go wrong with either of those guys.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 07:37:19 AM »
Welcome, Jeff!  Bow-building is in some ways harder. One cannot simply create the desired shape and get the performance you want in a bow. It’s much more dynamic. But in many other ways gun building is much more complicated. You’re ahead of the game because you know how to use sharp hand tools precisely.
Andover, Vermont

Offline alacran

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 03:25:43 PM »
Welcome jeff and Sean, Everyone has given you all solid advice. I would like to add one more thing. If you haven't all ready done so, hook up with a muzzleloading club near you. See what people there are shooting. Most will let you try their guns. Also most clubs tend to have local builders which may be able to help you along.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 04:25:04 PM »
Welcome jeff and Sean, Everyone has given you all solid advice. I would like to add one more thing. If you haven't all ready done so, hook up with a muzzleloading club near you. See what people there are shooting. Most will let you try their guns. Also most clubs tend to have local builders which may be able to help you along.

Excellent advice.
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

KILTED COWBOY

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 07:09:16 PM »
Howdy from the great state of Texas. I am just starting down this journey myself.
The folks on this forums are a great source of knowledge, inspiration and encouragement.
I am going to start my journey a little different.
Going to start off with a Kibler " in the white" so I have at least one long rifle done correctly in my hand.
I will examine that one as I take apart, learn finishing stock and barrel etc.
Then after that I will purchase one of his kits and take it a step further.
Then after that I may attempt a blank or a more complicated build like a Chambers.
I want to take it slow, learn, ask lots of questions. Also read all the books and references.
Some may think I am taking the long way, but I believe we all learn differently.
I wish you luck on your journey.
Kilted Cowboy 

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 07:33:12 AM »
Welcome Jeff and Shawn! Great place with lots of expertise and their not afraid to share it, just ask!

Shawn welcome from another Missourian. There are several clubs located in most all parts of the state. Go to missourioffhand.org (I think) and it will have a listing of about 8/9 clubs in the state. This is not a complete list by any means but it will be a start.

If you have any questions just PM me and we'll discuss some clubs and locations.

Big John

Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!