Author Topic: introductiion and precarve question  (Read 1561 times)

scott semmel

introductiion and precarve question
« on: February 17, 2019, 07:16:00 AM »
I was a daily reader of this forum for years but around 2012 a bunch of things; trying to save a family farm, an interest in blacksmithing and pole lathe turning took me away from gun building. I have built a half dozen guns from blanks and a few more from kits and precarves. I recently decided to finish projects I had started and am now working on a .58 "Hawkenish" hunter I started from a cherry blank almost ten years ago. I have a .36 straight octagon 3/4 inch barrel and I would like to build a gun around it but I feel I'm a little to close to my expiration date to do the whole from a blank thing. I have checked all the usual suspects for a precarve for 3/4 barrel and have come up empty. Anyone know where I might find a pre carve or blank with barrel inlet at 3/4 and 5/16 ramrod hole drilled.

Offline flint45

• Starting Member
Re: introductiion and precarve question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 07:24:07 AM »
Tip Curtis. Look for his ad/number in Muzzle Blast. I got a .40 caliber 3/4 inch barrel and stock from him.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 07:33:23 AM »
If you send your barrel out to one of the many who inlet barrels, I am sure they can do any size. Some have patters, I hear. 3/4” is awful slim and you’ll have to figure out what small lock will work.
Andover, Vermont

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 09:08:38 AM »
Scott,
I purchased a 3/4 x 44 inch barrel from Tip to make a TN rifle for myself a few years back.  I used Chamber's late Ketland with good results.  I have built  several rifles with this combo without any issues.  I will attach a couple photo's of the first one so you can see how it looks.  I built the stock from a blank, forged all the hardware for the rifle, and used modified Davis #4 triggers.  I have built similar rifles from .29 to .36 cal. for squirrel hunters in my neck of the woods.  I have used Rice barrels as well.  Good luck with your build.
                                                                                    Roger Sells

Offline bowkill

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 09:14:53 AM »
I have had a 3\4 barrel on my mind lately too. Tip is about 2 hours from me. May give him a visit.. Will watch this thread. Is there a big difference in weight with a 3\4 barrel over a swamped one in same length.
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Turtle

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 02:18:25 PM »
 I built a delightful .32 cal longrifle a 3/4 barrel. It's the only non swamped barrel rifle I have that I like the handling of. I used an L+R Bailes lock that is perfect for it.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 05:47:31 PM »
..... Is there a big difference in weight with a 3\4 barrel over a swamped one in same length.

Interesting question.  I thought I knew the answer right off.... the swamp must be lighter.  Nope.  The 42" Rice Golden Age A weight swamp starts out with a breech diameter of .937" tapering to .787" then to .687" before flaring out to .749".  So, the swamp weighs about 2/3 lb. more than the 3/4" straight barrel.  The difference is where that extra weight is located.  I'm guessing the swamped barreled rifle would feel lighter than the straight barreled one.

3/4" straight x 42" in .32 caliber weighs approx. 4.43 lbs. *
Rice A weight x 42" in .32 caliber weighs approx. 5.06 lbs.

3/4" straight x 42" in .36 caliber weighs approx. 4.18 lbs. *
Rice A weight x 42" in .36 caliber weighs approx. 4.88 lbs.

3/4" straight x 42" in .40 caliber weighs approx. 3.89 lbs. *
Rice A weight x 42" in .40 caliber weighs approx. 4.56 lbs.

* As a side note, the barrel makers sure could make it easier on us if they would provide the weights of their barrels.  Rice provides weights for some of their swamps, but beware 5.5 lbs. in their chart is not 5 and a half lbs., it is 5 lbs. and 5 ounces.  TOW shows weights for Green Mountain barrels, but not 3/4" barrels, so I had to use the calculator here... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12926.msg122419#msg122419 (Thanks Bill D)

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 07:35:21 PM »
Jason, of Rice Barrels, posted on 12/02/14 information on his new, at that time, Squirrel Barrel.  I couldn't locate the post with the search function, user error I suspect, however I'd saved the text on my hard drive.  This may be your answer to a very light weight swamped barrel, if they still make that barrel.  These barrels seem to be considerably lighter than even the A weight Southern Classic barrels.  Here is the posting's text:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jason - Rice Barrels
Starting Member

Squirrel bbl
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 09:22:48 PM »   
Hello Everyone,  As i understand it there are a few questions concerning what calibers are available in the Southern Classic bbl.  Also about a new bbl that Rice Barrel Co. has come out with year.  Lets first start with the Southern Classic bbl.

The Southern Classic is a "A" wt which means the breech dim is 15/16" across the flats.  At 10" from the breech the bbl measures 13/16".  The waist is 3/4" and the muzzle 13/16". The bbl length is 42".  Standard calibers are .40 .45 & .50.  Available in .32 & .36 upon request.  You will notice that the bbl has the same dim at the 10" mark and the muzzle.  A lot of shooters need the rear sight to be further down the bbl so that they can see it more clearly.  If the rear sight is placed at 10" + than the front sights will be on the same plane.  This allows  for very low mounted sights like many of the original rifle.  This profile is suitable for late flint and percussion period rifles. I currently have a few .40 available & ready to ship.

Onto the Squirrel bbl.  Over the past few years I've had many request for a light swamp bbl in small game calibers, with a minimal amount of taper and flair. This is what i've come up with...
The breech is 13/16". At 10" form the breech .700. The waist is 5/8" and the muzzle .700.  I've made this profile in barrel length of 38", 42", 44" & 46". I will soon be making some in a 32" version.   Standard calibers .32 .36 .40.  I currently have a mixture of calibers in the 42" bbl. When compared to a standard "A" with the same caliber and barrel length the Squirrel bbl will weigh 1 lb to 1 1/2 lbs lighter.  I hope this answers your questions.  If you would like to purchase a bbl please call the shop at 336-492-2614.

Hope this helps, Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 08:39:07 PM »
Scott:

I know the feeling about the expiration date....  We all have one.   LOL

I would suggest you look at some of the barrels mentioned and get a feel for a swamped barrel in your choice of caliber.  Though the swamped barrels may feel better the one thing they do give you is a bit ore weight up front.  Trying to hold a 13/16 43" barrel still is a bugger.  I like some weight out on the front....

Just sayin..  Can really recommend Rice barrels.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 09:13:50 PM »
My squirrel rifle has a 38", 13/16" Rice .36 bl. on it and I thought it was too light for good trail walk offhand shooting, but is about perfect for a hunting rifle.

Seems to me, the last time we shot the trail, I missed only 2 gongs, though.  -yes - OK - I confess, I missed the string first shot, and the straw as well.

So - that straight 3/4" might work just fine, if left full length. How long is it?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rsells

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 10:29:11 PM »
I made a SMR using one of Rice's squirrel rifle barrels.  It made a really nice feeling rifle.  It balances out great, and it is a really good choice.  It shot good groups when I sighted it in before delivering it to the customer.  I used one of Jim's late Ketland  flints again and the lines of the rifle turned out great as well.  I have attached some poor quality photo's of the rifle so you can see the lines.
                                                               Roger Sells

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 12:57:50 AM »
Scott-

Check out  Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply @  http://longrifles-pr.com/

They offer some pre-shaped stocks w/3/4" bbl channels & the rr hole drilled and with or without other parts inlet. Call them, explain what you want and they will fix you up, good folks.  (815) 968-1995

Good luck with your project.

Ted K

scott semmel

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 04:08:21 AM »
Thank you, for all the responses, I looked at Pecatonica's site and didn't find any 3/4 inch stocks but I'll give them a call, Greg Dixon thought they might the place to look too, I like the Idea an Early Ketland lock, not a big fan of little locks. My barrel is a 44inch straight Green Mountain

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 07:00:17 PM »
Here's one of Pecatonica's w/3/4" bbl channel    http://longrifles-pr.com/northcarolina.shtml

I'm sure they'd cut that size channel in any other style you'd like.

Good luck.

Ted