Author Topic: Rear Sight installation  (Read 1041 times)

Offline StevenV

Rear Sight installation
« on: February 17, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »
3 Part Question:
1.)Curious, who install rear sight as such vs. filing 60 degree dovetails into barrel ?

2.) To me it would seem more challenging to tap sight installed with "raising" metal and sliding sight in vs. filing dovetails in to sight gun in. Is sighting in treated the same way in both, just tap the sight for windage adjustment?
3.) If you shoot gun prior to handing over to the new owner do you shoot/sight in while gun is in the white or do you wait until the gun is finished then go shoot/sight gun in?

speed subway scene
The sight installed is just a trial on a cut off barrel piece to see if I could pull it off. I made another sight a bit wider so as to cover the barrel.  Thanks again StevenV

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Rear Sight installation
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 08:37:41 PM »
I like to install rear sights as you have shown...raise the barrel steel with a cold chisel and file for perfect fit.  This system has several advantages to just cutting a dovetail with a mill or file.  First, it is easier and faster, and second, you have material to tap down onto the sight to tighten it, if if gets loose.

2)  Tap the rear sight in the direction you want to move your group.  Cut the sighting slot/"V" is always dead centre in the sight.

3)  I finish the rifle completely before taking it to the range for testing and sighting in.  Note that even though you have zeroed the sights, it may not shoot the same for the client.  We all see the sights a little differently.  Years of experience has taught me how high to make the sights so that very little filing is needed, on the rear sight at least.  The front I intentionally make a little high so I can dress it down to bring the group into the "X" ring.

Here's an image of an original Jacob Kuntz rear sight in the MET in NYC, and one of the copy I made of it for my build.  I still have no idea where the leaf sight is zero'd.

One last note - notice that the raised metal has been filed flush with the angle flat.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online Jerry

Re: Rear Sight installation
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 02:31:13 AM »
I also, prefer the metal being upset with cold chisel instead of filing to fit for the obvious reasons described.