Author Topic: 26th MD, VA, WV Longrifle show  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

26th MD, VA, WV Longrifle show
« on: February 14, 2019, 06:52:17 AM »
Anybody going to the show this weekend? It will be held at the Shenvalee golf resort in New Market Virginia on Friday and Saturday. Nice little show.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: 26th MD, VA, WV Longrifle show
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 05:00:23 PM »
Always enjoyed thus show but will not be able to make it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 07:22:23 PM »
Well, if Dennis is not going then I guess we will ;)

Actually wanted to buy him lunch for his tip on a G. Sites rifle!

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 04:20:26 AM »
I plan on stopping by Friday....

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 03:25:19 AM »
Stopped in today and well worth the visit.  There are some really nice original pieces on display.

I forget the gentleman’s name, but his table is the first one on the left as you come into the room.  He has an original Hess rifle from the Williamsport, PA area that is probably the most pristine original rifle I’ve ever seen.  Barrel and lock are both in the white with very little oxidation.  Stock is in likewise condition.  He also has a Bonewitz that is incredible, and is most likely one of his earliest know rifles.  Good stuff!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline vanu

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 04:04:18 AM »
Ed,

Great to meet you this afternoon!

I talked with that gentleman for quite a while as well, very nice man...he told me that he was shooting the Hess rifle for years until someone pointed out that it was too important and valuable to shoot, so he had a copy of his Bonewitz made and used that for years. At first i thought that he was talking about the Hess as the copy, its in that great of condition!

Sam and Tim sure put on a great show, lots of wonderful material to pour over; small show but top quality!!

Bruce Larson

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 06:59:49 AM »
Like wise, Bruce!  He told me the same thing, lol...  It is small, but as you say, high quality.  It’s nice to able to really look at a piece without being jostled by large crowds. 

Ed
Ed Wenger

Online Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 11:20:40 PM »
Like wise, Bruce!  He told me the same thing, lol...  It is small, but as you say, high quality.  It’s nice to able to really look at a piece without being jostled by large crowds. 

Ed

True,  I am not a builder only a collector, but if I was a builder I would think these small shows would be great to handle some of the best originals out there & not feel rushed.

My favorite rifle at this show was this Frederick Sheetz rifle on Mike Tuccori's table.  See images 20-27.
http://ehcnc.org/decorative-arts/historic-trades/the-kentucky-rifle/

Another intersteing specimen was James Fenimore Cooper's rifle, on Gordon Barlows table.

They was lot of great stuff there.