Author Topic: ramrod pipe askew  (Read 1018 times)

Offline BillF/TRF

ramrod pipe askew
« on: February 18, 2019, 01:20:27 AM »
I am not sure that this rear askew pipe is significant, but it bothers me that it is not in line, parallel to the barrel. Is there anything I can do to correct it?  The viewing holes under the finial show about 3/32" of wood between the pipe and the ramrod.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
Re: ramrod pipe askew
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 01:34:13 AM »
I would try and lower the tail 1/32" or until the pipe is parallel with the bore, whichever comes first.  From the looks of your pic, 1/32" should get you close.  You will then need to rework the straight line plane from the entry pipe tail to the trigger guard.  I like to use a bubble level on piece of RR about 6" long when inletting an entry pipe.  I level the forestock and then use the level on the dowel inserted into the pipe as I am bringing it into position, checking it occasionally to avoid any trouble.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 03:11:59 AM »

Make the three lines parallel.  You will need to bend the tail of the pipe.  Go a head expose the barrel in the slot 100%.  The tab may be contacting the barrel to force the pipe out of parallel.  Fix if needed.   Hope you did not drill the hole in the pipe for the pin.  If you did fill the hole with a piece of brazing rod riveted and soft soldered.    Anneal the pipe before you bend it. 

Offline BillF/TRF

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 07:22:54 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far on my question about the "askew" ramrod pipe.  The rear pipe is pinned.  If I needed to fill that hole, could I silver solder it closed? Would MAP gas work for this soldering?  Also, would the MAP gas work for annealing the pipe extension before bending it?

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 07:37:20 PM »
Yes on all of that. IF your silver solder is the "easy" type it will work.  I'd still make a plug out of a length of brazing rod.  Taper it.  Tin it with the silver solder.  Tin the hole.  Heat both insert the plug until it stops.