Author Topic: Need to fix lock  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Dennis Daigger

Need to fix lock
« on: February 18, 2019, 06:05:59 AM »
I have an original German Jaeger percussion rifle and noticed today that when the hammer is in its lowest position (hammer fully down) that there is play between the hammer face and the top of the nipple.  I removed the lock and see that the mainspring in its released position puts the bottom of the spring outside the profile of the lock plate.  When the lock is installed this causes the main spring to bottom out against the lock inletting of the stock and create play between the hammer and the nipple.

The pin through the stirrup (hope I've got the part named correctly) was too long and had dragged a groove on the inner face of the lock inletting.  That issue has been fixed.  I disassembled the lock and it appears that the stirrup has been replaced and its top hole connecting to the tumbler and its bottom hole connecting to the spring are not spaced properly allowing the main spring to relax too much.

Any advice on fixing this problem will be appreciated.  It appears that if I make a new stirrup with a holes placed a bit closer that the problem will be solved.  Is there some kind of formula for determining this distance?  Do I have the fix correct?
Dennis

Offline Daryl

Re: Need to fix lock
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 06:28:38 AM »
It is highly unlikely if this is not fixed, the spring is going to break out the bottom of the lock mortise - that will make you very sad. One way to remedy this is to put in a nipple with a longer shank, or taller cone.  That way the spring cannot travel that far.
You may be able to solder a shim on the top of the lock plate to arrest the hammer's fall.
A more permanent fix is a new tumbler with re-positioned hammer, 1/2 and full cock notches.
A shorter stirrup might work as long as it didn't bind in the full cock position.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Clint

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 02:09:35 AM »
Percussion locks don't nessesarily stop like flint locks do. My best guess is that the gun has been played with (dry fired) to the point where the nipple and possibly the hammer face are worn down. This is evidenced by your statement that the hammer has play at full rest. The tumbler stop is probably worn too, but with a taller nipple and mabey a half soled hammer the gun should be fine.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 03:13:10 AM »
Make a shorter stirrup. I just fixed a lock that way a few weeks ago.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 04:07:34 AM »
As has already been noted, percussion locks often are 'timed' so that the hammer must rest on the nipple in the down position, and must be placed at half-cock in order to remove it from the stock.  If the nipple is too short, you have your issue, and your stock will eventually be broken out through the bottom of the lock inlet.  So, make a new nipple matching the thread journal, but 1/8" longer in the length above the snail.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ron w

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 05:43:28 PM »
somewhat difficult to speculate on things with the lock out of the gun. the cock most likely has traveled beyond it's normal range without a nipple present to stop it allowing the main spring to appear that it would make contact with the bottom of the mortice. have close look at the mortice floor and see if it looks like the spring is making contact. there should be some marking an burnished looking wood if the spring is banging into the mortice floor.  quick/easy and perfectly acceptable remedy is as suggested,....a longer nipple. the one in there now, might very well be a replacement that is slightly too short. it can sometimes be proven out by the angle between the cock and the nipple, given that proper geometry should have the cock striking the nipple straight on. a longer or shorter nipple will allow that alignment to change. another method might be to snap a cap and look at the shape of the cap's top. if severely wedge shaped, the nipple is not the correct length. the gun will most likely fire fine this way,.... but,...it is not correct.  there is also the possibility that the cock has been replaced at some time, with one that has an incorrect nose length, or s slightly off in clock timing of the hole. essentially,...with the gun's age,.. there is no telling what might have been changed at some time.  all you can do is spot the problems and fix them.

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »
Find a taller nipple?

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 10:45:18 PM »
Here is my fix -- read the paragraph I wrote in red on the picture it explains my fix;

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 04:13:08 AM »
Good idea, Paul. A longer nipple and the shim would absolutely prevent stock damage is the lock is ever fired without a nipple- or damaged one even.
Daryl

PluggedNickle

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 10:55:17 PM »
Here is my fix -- read the paragraph I wrote in red on the picture it explains my fix;

I can’t read the red print clearly.  Could you please post the info?  Thank you.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 12:19:05 AM »
Click on the picture and it will enlarge - twice.
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 12:24:14 AM »
When I first received my Kodiak, the hammer cups rested on the very long nipples, with the cups well above the fences.

I turned the nipples down to allow the hammer cups to curl over the fences as they should have, from the factory. I will note
here, I had to be careful the springs did not travel far enough down (as your photo shows your locks) as to break out the wood under the locks.
Your problem is opposite mine, as long as the hammer still cups over the fence as all cap-locks should be designed.

Daryl

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 04:07:43 PM »
YEARS ago,John Baird and another man posted pictures of the Kodiak double rifle being
fired at night and there was a large volume of fire at the breech.I think this gun was early production
and there has been a fix applied.
As a lock maker,I agree with the idea of making a shorter link/stirrup IF you have the tools and
experience.

Bob Roller

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 04:59:40 PM »
The only trouble with a shorter stirrup, Bob, is that the hammer will be off the nipple still.
Same as shimming the tumbler stop where it touches the scear spring screw.
Only easy fix is a longer nipple, Or material in the hammer cup,  Or re-indexing the hammer so it sits lower and the nipple takes the weight before the tumbler bottoms out on the stop.
The latter seems the best choice to me.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 07:17:49 PM »
If a taller nipple cone is needed,are they available thru common channels or must
they be custom made? I seldom look at catalogs pertaining to this stuff any more
and have had a couple of nipples with a longer than normal thread but that is all.

Bob Roller

Offline snapper

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 07:18:32 PM »
Rick Weber makes nipples.   He is a buddy of mine and makes platinum lined ones for long range shooting.  While you dont need a platinum lined one, he could make you one that is not. and make a longer tube for you.

Send me a PM if you want his contact info.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 05:45:51 AM »
Very good info, Fleener.