Author Topic: 20 ga. Fowler  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Jerry

20 ga. Fowler
« on: February 18, 2019, 11:44:17 PM »
I just finished putting together this Track of the Wolf 20 ga fowler kit. Exceptional hardware package and wood. I chose this one to put together because of the choice of manufacturers components. It has a Colerain cylinder bore octagon to round barrel with double wedding band , L&R Queen Anne lock, brass hardware, and although I chose a plain hard maple stock, it had some figure in it. The pre-carved stock is left long in the butt stock to allow for a shorter length of pull. I prefer a 13 1/2" length of pull, so I cut and adjusted to my required length. I had TOTW fit and install the breech plug at a slight additional cost. My finish was Fiebing's dark brown leather dye. Sealer was old stock Sherwin Williams Beauty Loc Clear Seal. A very nice parts package at a reasonable cost. Thanks, Jerry   

Offline Dave Marsh

Re: 20 ga. Fowler
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 12:01:54 AM »
Nice job.  Well done.   Looks like it is ready for the turkey woods this spring.  And a lot of fun working up a load. 8)

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jerry

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 12:21:00 AM »
Dave, You are so correct. Turkey season here in Georgia begins next month. I put this one together because of bore size restrictions here. I had a 28 ga that I know would have done the job, but state law allows 20 ga. Thanks...

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 03:31:15 AM »
That's a great looking fowler.  You did real well with the finish.  I like it.

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 03:37:07 AM »
You done a nice job putting that one together , Jerry
You going to put any engraving on her ?

Offline Jerry

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 04:01:45 AM »
Thanks Joe. Yes, I’ll engrave it. I’ll shoot and hunt with it engraving as I find time. Jerry

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 07:36:39 AM »
Really nice job there, Jerry.  Very good finish also.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 02:23:33 PM »
A nice clean looking piece!
Enjoy it
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 11:22:18 AM »
Nice smoothbore Jerry and I know it will be a joy this turkey season, but from the way I read the regs. your 28 would have been legal. The 20 gauge limit only applies to big game like deer. For turkeys it's any muzzleloading firearm. This includes the .40 caliber rifle I built for turkeys years ago which is my main turkey weapon.
For your interpretation this is the state code covering hunting weapons; https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-27/chapter-3/article-1/part-1/27-3-4/
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 12:42:18 AM »
Thanks Darkhorse, I'll have to revisit the regulations again.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 01:31:15 AM »
"Turkey weapon". ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jerry

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 01:36:33 AM »
We hope Mike. I’m sure it will do it’s part if I can do mine. Thanks, Jerry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 02:06:05 AM »
HA! I never considered my squirrel rifle a weapon, I have rarely come across a dangerous squirrel where I felt in needed a weapon. Although, I have been flogged to near unconsciousness by a turkey.....A weapon may be necessary whilst stalking the evil turk. ;D Something I'll keep in mind when I build a turkey gun. Talking to Rice Barrel Co. the other day I found they make an 8 bore....only slightly illegal in Iowa, but who carries a caliper in the woods? ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 03:45:22 AM »
HA! I never considered my squirrel rifle a weapon, I have rarely come across a dangerous squirrel where I felt in needed a weapon. Although, I have been flogged to near unconsciousness by a turkey.....A weapon may be necessary whilst stalking the evil turk. ;D Something I'll keep in mind when I build a turkey gun. Talking to Rice Barrel Co. the other day I found they make an 8 bore....only slightly illegal in Iowa, but who carries a caliper in the woods? ;)

Really, Mike?  I guess I missed that in the regs somewhere, but I rarely have time to hunt anymore. 

Matt

Online Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 04:51:19 AM »
From https://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Turkey-Hunting

The only legal firearms for turkey hunting are: shotguns and muzzleloader shotguns not smaller than 20-gauge. Permitted shot sizes are: No. 4, 5, 6, 7 1/2 or 8 in lead, or non-toxic shot in sizes 2 through 8. Lead shot larger than No. 4 and non-toxic shot larger than No. 2 is illegal to possess while turkey hunting.

Looks like you're good to go Mike.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 10:22:30 AM »
Turkey Weapons. Yes. As defined by state code the terminology is accurate and perfectly acceptable.

2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 27 - GAME AND FISH
CHAPTER 3 - WILDLIFE GENERALLY
ARTICLE 1 - HUNTING
PART 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 27-3-4 - Legal weapons for hunting wildlife generally
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:19:44 PM by Dennis Glazener »
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 03:38:17 PM »
Fine looking gun there, Jerry. You should be able to keep them at bay with that.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 04:56:56 AM »
Very well done, Jerry.  Great overall look, I like it a lot!

Ed
Ed Wenger

roamer

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 07:31:35 AM »
Wwow

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 04:48:51 PM »
Fine looking gun there, Jerry. You should be able to keep them at bay with that.
Bob

In 1959 a WV game warden showed me a picture of an illegal deer hunter's weapon
of choice. It a WW2 bring back...............MG42,Germany's bad boy of full auto weapons.
I don't know the final outcome of this but I would think the Feds would have at least a
passing interest in this as a hunting gun.

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 06:35:24 PM »
From https://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Turkey-Hunting

The only legal firearms for turkey hunting are: shotguns and muzzleloader shotguns not smaller than 20-gauge. Permitted shot sizes are: No. 4, 5, 6, 7 1/2 or 8 in lead, or non-toxic shot in sizes 2 through 8. Lead shot larger than No. 4 and non-toxic shot larger than No. 2 is illegal to possess while turkey hunting.

Looks like you're good to go Mike.

-Ron

COOL! Now I need to call Rice again, Looks like a turkey weapon in my future! I bet that will be an expensive barrel with a 1 5/16" breech. ???

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 06:38:12 PM »
BTW, That is a nice fowling gun. I used that stock from TOTW back in the dark ages of the early 80's. Makes into a very lively gun.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 07:37:41 PM »
iIke,

I know someone with a very good 41" 8 bore barrel!   :-)