Author Topic: Real silver inlays  (Read 1304 times)

frenchymanny

Real silver inlays
« on: February 19, 2019, 01:52:51 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and the hobby, but not totally a newbee, from Quebec.
I try to locate a couple of real silver hunters stars. I do not like the german silver, any help would be appreciated.

Hampshirecountylongrifles sent me here  :)

Thanks everyone

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Real silver inlays
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 02:38:03 AM »
I cut mine from pre '64 coins. You can also buy sterling silver sheet and cut your own. I'm unaware of any that are precut in real silver.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

frenchymanny

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 02:44:17 AM »
Thank you Mike!

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 03:27:46 AM »
I just ordered some sterling sheet from Rio Grande the other day.  6" x 1.5" x.040 thick costs around $42.  The part where I get confused is the dead soft, half hard and so on.  I ordered dead soft figuring it will probably work harden.  Maybe some of our other members could shed some light on this.

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 04:30:55 AM »
TommyG... Yes, it will work harden quite quickly.  Make sure you anneal frequently.  Mike mentioned working with coin silver, and I do the same.  Those always have to be annealed first, since the dies work harden them when they are stamped at the mint.  Also, fine silver is much easier to work than coin silver, since it is much softer.  I never use nickel silver, and all front sites I have ever made are .900 coin silver.  This gives them the toughness to resist bending, and show nice and bright when drawing a bead.

Frenchymanny... Mike is right... You are unlikely to find any on the market for silver stars, because there is no market for them.  You will have to fabricate your own from sheet silver.  Not sure when Canada stopped minting coins in silver, but here in the USA 1964 was our last year for coins in circulation to be minted in .900 silver.

Matt

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 04:48:04 AM »
Maybe one of you builders can make him a couple.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 05:57:52 AM »
A silver pre 64 quarter makes a nice oval disk on the wrist.  I pounded mine flat on the concrete floor with a hammer.  Then filed it in the vice. A franklin half dollar would probably make a Star.  There’s some Ike dollars in coin silver too if you need more.  If you want pure silver,  a 1 0z Silver Eagle or Canadian Maple Leaf should work.  Silver bars come in all different ounces. 

frenchymanny

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 06:03:51 AM »
Thank you everyone!

Frenchymanny

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 07:28:21 AM »
Frenchymanny, if you want to lay out and cut your own, for a standard 5-point star, the points are 72 deg apart.  For a six-point star, 60 deg apart.  A protractor will help you lay things out.  Do it on paper first, then cut it out, stick it on your metal, and you have your design however large or small you might want.  Silver cuts and files easily.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »
I make the cheek stars from .06 thick  sterling silver sheet and it's dead soft. Seeing these stars are formed in  the "valley" of the cheek, being dead soft forms easily and the .06 thickness ensures they don't get too thin when  filing smooth. I've never had to anneal these stars.

A center screw holds the star in place and the .06 thickness helps  it to lay flat . If thinner stock is used, the star "points" could be pinned as on some Lehighs......Fred

frenchymanny

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 03:02:15 PM »
Flehto this is superb!