Author Topic: Kibler Colonial vs Chambers Virginia - architecture differences?  (Read 2257 times)

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
Kibler Colonial vs Chambers Virginia - architecture differences?
« on: February 19, 2019, 02:29:04 AM »
How similar are the designs of two kits? Is it safe to say that they're very roughly based on the same period/location/original?

To my untrained eye, Kibler's kit seems to have a more "drooped" stock than the Chambers. The lower stock line (?) has a slight downward curve, and the comb appears at a steeper angle compared to the bore. The Chambers is straight below and the comb at a shallower angle. Other than that, which could be an illusion, they seem similar: 42"-44" barrels in larger calibers, wood patchboxes, and round-faced lock.

(I'm comparing the Kibler to the Mark Silver Virginia, btw)

For reference....

Kibler: https://kiblerslongrifles.com/collections/colonial-rifle-kit/products/50-caliber-colonial-american-longrifle-kit-sliding-box-down-payment

Chambers: http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles04.htm

Forgive me if this is a silly question. I'm working through the RCA books and gradually learning all this.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Kibler Colonial vs Chambers Virginia - architecture differences?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 02:35:38 AM »
Most early longrifles share common architectural elements.
Andover, Vermont

Offline RockLock92

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 03:23:38 AM »
Off the top of my head the buttplate and trigger guard on the Chambers kit is much more European than the Kibler kit.... I think the Chambers kit is based off the "Faber" Rifle. I also think the Chambers kit has a longer LOP at 14 in.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:28:42 AM by RockLock92 »

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 05:36:23 PM »
The Faber rifle....I'll have to look that up.

Edit: Just found the "Faber rifle" in RCA Vol. II (#117) and the similarities are striking. Silver's engraving appears to take elements from #119 as well, particularly in the sideplate and buttplate.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:21:01 PM by kentuckyrifleman »

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:14:44 PM »
Can't help with differences.   But thought I'd show a Kibler Colonial "in the white"

Maybe it helps... definitely looks different when it's put together. 

I'd agree a lot of earlier guns share a similar architecture.  Studying rifles on the KRA discs I learned that.  What I envisioned as a Lehigh Valley rifle was pretty much wrong.  They have a lot of examples shown that are earlier and don't have the Lehigh features we know as a Lehigh.  I was quite shocked.