Author Topic: Precious Gems  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Precious Gems
« on: February 19, 2019, 06:06:46 AM »
I have quite a few cut rubies, emeralds, garnets, sapphires etc. that  I found mostly  in the desert in Saudi Arabia and some in Alaska and the Black Hills in South Dakota while in the military.  I had some cut by the LBD’s in the desert.   I’ve seen some rifles and pistols with precious gems on them. Is there a specific rifle or pistol type  that had things like precious gems enlayed  on them?  I don’t do anything with them and it would be nice to somehow incorporate them in a rifle. 

Offline M. E. Pering

Re: Precious Gems
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 07:10:55 AM »
Afganvet... Though there were guns made with these adornments, they were mostly for European and Ottoman royalty.  I am not certain about Czarist Russia, but it would not surprise me there, either.  This is something you will need to do research on if you are wanting to emulate one of those guns that had them.  As far as I know, no American gun ever had gems, but I don't know everything, and it is possible a couple did.  If you aren't going for a HC gun though, go for it.

Matt

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 07:21:35 AM »
Not much gem work on firearms this side of the pond, which is a shame.  I used to buy rough stock in Brazil, bring it home to Florida, then cut and polish.  Believe I still have a few tucked away.  Some amethyst, fire opal, etc.  Lots of rough star sapphire - makes fancy cabochons.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 08:10:41 AM »
There is ONE, very nice American made swivel breech flintlock rifle that is inlaid with gems. I have it in one of my books but can not seem to lay my hands on it right now, maybe I loaned it out,,,I'll look some more in the morning....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 02:33:53 PM »
       The most notable American gun with a number of jewels is usually referenced as "the Jewel Kuntz."   It is well pictured in Dave Hanson's book, The Art and Evolution of the Longrifle.   You better be really on your game if you want to re-create this  rifle.   
Happy building,
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 03:01:01 PM »
Hi Mike,
Precious stones on guns of any type in history are rare.  There are a few in almost every century since firearms were invented, mostly made as lavish gifts to royalty or by them.  IMO most I have seen are hideous artistic disasters. With respect to  American longrifles, there are one or more rifles by Jacob Kuntz that have cut glass and/or "Macungie" stones inlayed on the cheek piece and patchbox. I believe Macungie stone is a type of blue-green jasper that was mined just south of Allentown, PA.  As far as I know, there was never any type of specific type of firearm upon which gems were inlayed, just those intended as lavish statements of wealth.

dave     
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 05:19:49 PM »
You put gems on a rifle everybody is going to think you're light in the loafers :-*....even if that wierdo Kuntz did do it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 07:29:00 PM »
You put gems on a rifle everybody is going to think you're light in the loafers :-*....even if that wierdo Kuntz did do it.

You may be onto something.  Maybe there's a link between Kuntz and Baron Friedrich von Steuben. What we think is "Lady Liberty" or an "Indian Head" might be????

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 07:37:44 PM »
You could always hide "The Family Jewel's" inside your patchbox.   ;D

It would not be too awful gaudy to use one or two small gem stones for the eyes on a carved lion or griffon I suppose.
Joel Hall

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 08:19:43 PM »
Hugh Toenjes did a nice Lehigh rifle back in the last quarter of the 20th Century.  He incorporated a jem in the cheek piece inlay with nice effect.  It is the only contemporary rifle of which I am familiar with such an inlay.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 08:27:53 PM »
Probably the best example of rifles, muskets inlaid with gems would be the mukahla from North Africa. Those tend to be highly decorated and gemstones were rather common on them. This was the type of weapon used by the Barbary pirates during AMerica's first foreign war. So they actually do have some connection to American history. Building one would be an interesting project. And also quite a challenge.

Daryl Pelfrey

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 02:56:13 AM »
Im with Mike Brooks on this one.LOL

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 03:55:28 AM »
I’ll keep them hidden away for another 20 years. 

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 03:58:46 AM »
Awwww, Afghan - be novel!  Be creative!  Be different!  Bedazzle us all with rubies, sapphires, and fire opals!

Who knows, you might be the 21st Century Kuntz?

Why?  Because you can!

We all make replicas or "our take" on an historic firearm - you can be the one that breaks that old mold.  Yes, Hugh - Blacksmoke - made an absolutely gorgeous rifle.  You can too, if you want.  I will not be one to stifle your creative talents.

If it comes out too ugly for the world to see it, you can reclaim all the hardware and gemstones, with not much loss except for some wood and some time.  BUT - you may set a new trend!

If I can find that bag of un-polished star sapphires, I would be glad to give you some.  It would just take some shaping and polishing to make them into beautiful objects.

Best of luck to you whichever way you go, my fellow Vet.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 04:38:02 AM »
Maybe a pistol some day with $#@* all over it.  For some reason,  im being drawn to less fancy rifles. Im trying my best to figure out how to make a Lehigh with very little carving.  Examples are hard to come by.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 06:19:30 AM »
Brent Gurtek of French River Muzzleloaders out of Duluth MN made an early Lehigh that sported a black onyx inlet into a hunters star above the cheek piece, It looked pretty cool.
Galations 2:20

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 04:41:32 PM »
The museum owned,jewel encrusted guns I have seen are to me,underwhelming and I
wouldn't give $5 for any of them if I had to keep them.I suppose this is because jewelry
to me is a waste of money and an attraction for violent criminals to act.

Bob Roller

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 04:49:38 PM »
I’ll keep them hidden away for another 20 years.

Good decision.   8)

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 05:37:56 PM »
I'd probably  have the family jewels made into some jewelry for my wife and/or mistress before I hammered it into a gun stock.

Hey, they do nifty implants now too....you could have some jewels implanted in your forehead.  The ones I have seen in person were VERY fetching.... ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 05:48:44 PM »
I'd probably  have the family jewels made into some jewelry for my wife and/or mistress before I hammered it into a gun stock.

Hey, they do nifty implants now too....you could have some jewels implanted in your forehead.  The ones I have seen in person were VERY fetching.... ;)

Wayne was right.  You are full of great ideas.  That would go awesome with my neck rings, bone through my nose and the disc in my lip.   :)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 06:31:57 PM »

Wayne was right.  You are full of great ideas.  That would go awesome with my neck rings, bone through my nose and the disc in my lip.   :)
If you ever need advise on style you now know who to talk to. ;)

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 11:13:14 PM »
The Scots were great ones for using jewels on fancy flat powder horns.  Or perhaps some 18th century pimp had a gun with inlaid jewels.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 12:13:49 AM »
I did it once on the third gun I made. I inlayed my grandfathers tie tack, my birth stone, into the cap box on an Ohio type gun. Can't sat I liked or disliked it at the time or now, that wasn't why I did it. I made it for my daughter and was teaching myself how to do a lot of different things and learning a lot of different thing at the same time.

Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 05:43:30 AM »
Hey Robby, reckon we could please see the rest of that rifle? Looks swell to me. Thanks Dave 8) 8)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 05:51:22 AM »
Those Ohio rifles  are growing on me.  This is getting ridiculous!!!!