Author Topic: Shop Tour Video  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Shop Tour Video
« on: February 20, 2019, 06:01:06 AM »
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:24:11 AM by Jim Kibler »

Offline SBachner

Re: Yet another video - Shop Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 06:45:10 AM »
Haas Automation...nice.

Hopefully Formula 1 team improves this year.

Offline Daryl

Re: Shop Tour Video
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 07:43:33 AM »
Good video, Jim- tks. Especially about the lost wax-casting.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 05:04:05 PM »
 Neat Jim, Thanks for the tour.

Tim

Offline Curly Bean

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 05:42:23 PM »
Very interesting tour of your shop. CNC machines, investment casting capability, the best of everything in woodworking machinery.  A place to be proud of.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 05:47:02 PM »
Now I feel like I'm working in the stone age.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 06:14:26 PM »
Great tour of the shop - Very impressive!!! -

Jon

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 07:32:19 PM »
You are, I have been in your shop! ;D

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 07:50:08 PM »
 8) 8)... great shop. Jim,... with all your production for the retail business, how many custom guns are you personally building now,...? ... thanx,...

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 08:04:34 PM »
   Jim, Really enjoyed your video. You and Katherine have brought the kit (don't like that term) business to a whole new level. You are really offering a custom rifle in the white with assembly.
  One word of advice that you should take seriously. Don't for any reason let anyone film your CNC operation. The company that I used to work at let  that  happen. A year later they were offering simular work. All acquired by that simple video that we let them do.
  Anyway wish you all the success. You are doing a fantastic product.  Oldtravler

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 09:15:50 PM »
 Jim, I really enjoyed your video ! Would you share what you have in mind for any future offerings ?  Thanks  Tony

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 10:03:38 PM »
You are, I have been in your shop! ;D
Complete with Cave Man!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 10:10:21 PM »
You product is very high quality and it's nice to see someone with your dedication and talent supplying the muzzleloading community with your great product. I started my "adventure" into muzzleloading in the mid 60's as a teenager and the only major supplier of parts was Dixie Muzzleloading Supply plus some smaller suppliers such as Dixon's which was at Hawk Mountain at the time about 1.5 hours from me, Golden Age Arms plus some others.
Now with your quality "kits" most everyone can produce a nice quality muzzleloader that he or she can be proud to own, shoot or display. Once I exhaust my inventory of accumulated wood & parts I will be purchasing your "kits" when I am in need of a rifle to build ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 10:26:41 PM »
Really enjoyed that video.

When can we see more of that Colonial rifle you and Katherine built? Around 25:08. Looks amazing.

Offline StevenV

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 11:13:45 PM »
WOW!! Thanks for the tour, great to see someone with your drive and forward thinking put it together. Wish you and Katherine nothing but the best.      StevenV

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 11:54:46 PM »
Great shop, I wish I were closer I'd volunteer my time just to be around the shop and see it develop and grow.

Kevin 
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 01:26:47 AM »
Great video, Jim and Katherine!  I predict that you are going to have to enlarge your business again, very shortly!  I know that I, for one, am planning to get one of your Colonial kits later this year - if I can stay away from Doctors and hospitals!  Large caliber for me - .58, .62.....  Since you don't offer a 106 mm yet.

I used to do a lot of investment casting when helping a jeweler friend of mine.  But I think the tings, etc., were considerably smaller that your items.  Still, it was fun, and a good education in the process.  Couple times I wished we had cast in brass instead of gold.  But, you could always melt your rejects and try again.

Good luck with your business - you really fill a need in the ML crowd.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 01:05:07 PM »
Great video...how about one on lock and trigger tuning on the SMR
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Telgan

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 04:10:48 PM »
Jim, I am certainly enjoying every one of your video's. Just a question for you - Do you take your optivisor off to shower ?  :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 07:28:55 PM »
I like optivisors as well, if you get the led light kit that goes on one you'll be patting yourself on the back every time you bend over to look at an inlet you are working on, you won't need that articulated desk lamp.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 05:56:42 PM »
8) 8)... great shop. Jim,... with all your production for the retail business, how many custom guns are you personally building now,...? ... thanx,...

First of all, thanks everyone for the nice response to the video.  We're proud of the business we've built and enjoy sharing it. 

As to fully custom guns, I really am not able to do much of this work.  I do sometimes finish our kits, but even this work cuts into production work time quite a bit.  We've made the decision to not accept any orders for finished guns at this point.  This may change in the future, though.  Carving, engraving, careful finishing etc. still takes time and it's hard to devote it.

We've just finished a neat rifle, though, and I'll be sharing photos soon.  It's something different and I'm excited to share it!

All the best,
Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 05:58:42 PM »
Really enjoyed that video.

When can we see more of that Colonial rifle you and Katherine built? Around 25:08. Looks amazing.

Thanks.  We'll be showing it soon.  We're excited!

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 06:06:06 PM »
Great video...how about one on lock and trigger tuning on the SMR

Good idea.  We might just do this!

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 06:07:17 PM »
Jim, I am certainly enjoying every one of your video's. Just a question for you - Do you take your optivisor off to shower ?  :)

I don't bother to shower often, but when I do it's with my coffee cup and optivosors ;)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 06:14:03 PM »
I like optivisors as well, if you get the led light kit that goes on one you'll be patting yourself on the back every time you bend over to look at an inlet you are working on, you won't need that articulated desk lamp.

Eric,

I had one of the LED light rings for the optivosor and didn't like it.  Not picking on you, but the articulating arm lamp is extremely importand in that you can control the direction of the light.  If you don't take the benefit of this, your work will very much suffer.  Not trying to pick on you, but this is frustration from years of trying to explain and show the benefits of controling your light source.  Notice I don't have a flourescent fill light over the bench either.

I've taught many classes and this is something I harp on all the time.  I can't tell you how many time people have been carving etc. and asked for a critique.  Oftentimes all I have to do is move the light and it answers their question!

All the best,
Jim