Author Topic: KIBLERS PANTINA SOLUTION  (Read 3621 times)

KILTED COWBOY

KIBLERS PANTINA SOLUTION
« on: February 21, 2019, 12:17:10 AM »
If you are considering leaving the barrel "in the white" so to speak in a kibler colonial.
Has anyone ever used his pantina solution on the barrel to darken a bit?
Would you then use some oil to protect it?
Just a question banging around in my head

Offline Phil Neal

Re: KIBLERS PANTINA SOLUTION
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 01:34:00 AM »
I used Kibler's solution, then rubbed it back with scotch brite pad.  I love the look.  Here is a photo, not great but maybe you can see the color.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 01:58:07 AM »
Phil - that is a GREAT color on your barrel.  I assume that is from using Kibler's "patina" solution?  I like it, for sure!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Tim

• Just an ordinary Guy from Alabama.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 04:23:01 AM »
I used Kibler's solution, then rubbed it back with scotch brite pad.  I love the look.  Here is a photo, not great but maybe you can see the color.

How durable is this finish?  I can’t decide if I want to do the hot blue or the Patina solution on my Kibler Mountain Rifle.
Tim

Offline davebozell

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 04:23:32 AM »
I have used it on several barrels.  I have always browned the barrels first, then rubbed them back almost to bare metal.  The browning will protect the barrel from rusting.  After rubbing back, I apply a coat or two of the browning solution.  The browning solution is not very durable, but it is easily repaired with another coat of the solution.

Offline Tim

• Just an ordinary Guy from Alabama.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 04:28:08 AM »
I have used it on several barrels.  I have always browned the barrels first, then rubbed them back almost to bare metal.  The browning will protect the barrel from rusting.  After rubbing back, I apply a coat or two of the browning solution.  The browning solution is not very durable, but it is easily repaired with another coat of the solution.

Do You use browning solution first and then the Kibler patina solution?
Tim

Offline davebozell

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 04:40:02 AM »
Yes.  I like the protection that the browning provides.  I have used two or three coats of browning solution since I'm not trying to achieve the normal solid brown finish.  Once most of the browning solution is removed, it makes a good base for the darkening solution.

Davemuzz

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 01:14:11 PM »
Another option for obtaining a "blackened" or patina look is by using Laural Mt. Browning. I've done this to a few firearms and liked the outcome. The more you repeat the process, the darker the steel becomes.

The process is:

Blacking Process

1. Apply LM stuff and let sit until rust forms
2. Once rust forms boil\steam for ten minutes
3. Card off rust
4. Repeat as desired
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:48:26 PM by Davemuzz »

Turtle

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 02:33:05 PM »
 I have come to prefer a finish French Grey I get by rubbing the barrel with steel wool saturated in phosphoric acid. After several applications and some time, it looks like old pewter. It is quite rust resistant in the weather, and any rust can be easily rubbed off with more treatment. If you leave it on for a little while after applying, you can get a more irregular corroded look. Real easy to do.

Offline gusd

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 06:19:08 PM »
Turtle, where can I get phosphoric acid? thx.
Gus

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »
...at the hardware store.  It is 'rust remover'.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline gusd

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 08:46:52 PM »
Thank You Taylor.  :)
Gus

Offline wmrike

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 12:40:59 AM »
I ordered some phosphoric from Lowes.  Easy.  The container just says "Phosphoric Acid Cleaner."  In my instance, once the seal was broken, the cap is hard pressed to do its job.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 05:36:50 AM »
That cap thing is easy to fix - cut a 4"x 4" piece from a sandwich bag, put it over the opening, then screw the cap on.

If you want to dilute the Phosphoric Acid, remember to ALWAYS ADD ACID - keeps down such exciting phenomenal happenings like a mini-volcanic explosion.

We use distilled water in the boiling or scalding operation because many places are plagued  with minerals, such as calcium or iron in the water, both detrimental to a good finish.  Rain water works well.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Turtle

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 12:53:29 AM »
 I love the phosphoric acid finish. Most people mistake it for a well cared for in the white gun. If you do get some rust you can just rub that spot with a little acid and it's gone. I usually redo the whole barrel and lock after deer season. It seems to just look better and better every time. As I said, wipe it off right away or you will start to get a corroded look-unless that is what you want.

Offline draken

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 11:24:26 AM »
A trifle off topic, but many carbonated soft drinks(or at least the colas do) contain Phosphoric Acid.   That's why Coca Cola (and Pepsi) have long been used for dissolving on bolts and such.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline Phil Neal

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 05:01:56 AM »
Just an update on the Kibler's patina solution.  I just finished applying it to some steel furniture for my Hawken. Much the same results as with the barrel on my colonial Virginia rifle from Jim.  Simply apply, don't rub it on just move in one direction. then rinse in cold water and using scotch brite pad rub it back to your desired shade.  Then apply some good gun oil and your good to go. Works for me, also being in a very dry climate I don't really worry too much about rust.