Author Topic: Removing a pinned barrel  (Read 4339 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Removing a pinned barrel
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 01:43:47 AM »
I don't remove pinned barrels for routine cleaning.  The only time I will remove a pinned barrel is if/when the gun gets really wet or I need to address something that can't be addressed without barrel removal.  I always remove the flint lock, clean the outside and quickly wipe and oil the internals, which never seem to actually get fouled.  I do always remove the pinned barrel on a new or new-to-me gun for barrel channel sealing and to grease the area of the barrel that contacts wood. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline kudu

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 05:22:44 PM »
Put me on the list of Leaving the Barrel in.
I shoot alot weekly my favorite is a half stock 50. cal Flintlock I built,  I clean the bore with the Barrel in the Stock same Moose milk patch lube I use on the line. 20:1 Ballistol

The lock gets removed every time and the area all around the vent gets cleaned .
then I oil all parts with WD-40 and the bore.

Most if not all my Guns if taken apart wouldn't pass the Historically Correct Police.
I have Glass bedding in areas that cant be seen even on my Fowler I mostly use it in the wrist area with wood pins under and near the breech.
I mix Black Glass Bedding and use in the lock areas, they  are real dark from the "inletting Black" ive even Painted the Lock inlet with Inletting Black, when done and let dry and then Varnished/ Sealed right over it. Looks good to me!

Its really Interesting to watch how some folks clean their Guns If your into Line shooting and just watch near the end of a Day
say at a Big shoot you see most people leave the barrel in. But of course not all some take their Gun back to camp and totally Dismantal it!

Now I also shoot a little Bench rest - not Much, You want to see cleaning go down to that end of the Line.
Its a cleaning Party!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 05:39:34 PM »
I do take my lock out for cleaning everytime I finish shooting. I also find pluggin the touch hole to prevent water getting in the mortis is near to impossible with the lock in.

Enlighten me Turtle, are you cleaning your gun with lock in and sealing it to prevent water from getting in your mortise or hunting in the rain and want to prevent water intrusion? It sounds like you do an exceptional job of fitting you pan to the barrel.

I am pretty much a fair weather hunter, if I do get caught out in the rain I disassemble my rifle when I get home and let everything dry out.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 11:55:03 PM »
Eric, interesting that you mentioned you're a fair weather hunter; I am too...basically.  A little rainy weather used to not stop me from getting out, but it's funny how age tends to make one wiser.  About the only time I'm in the rain, nowadays, is if I'm already in the bush when it starts.  That happened a couple of years ago.  The forecast said partly cloudy and that sounded great to my hunting partner and I.  But within 20 minutes of taking a stand, a downpour began and never let up.  After an hour or two we'd both had enough and arrived back at the vehicles at the same moment.  We were soaking wet; yet my flintlock smoothbore fired just fine.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Turtle

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 12:47:27 AM »
 Yes, I clean the barrel with the lock in-nothing runs into the inner lock. I put a cleaning patch in the pan and shut the frizzen to hold it there to catch any solvent that comes out the vent, then I wipe the pan with that patch and more clean ones to clean the pan and lock and wipe the outside of the barrel. I'm done and in camp having a beer while other are disassembling and reassembling their guns. I do this with Lehigh valley solvent. If I'm shooting the next day this is all I do. I always do a quick redo a few days or so later after getting home in case I missed  a spot and If I'm not shooting for a while I treat the barrel and lock with fluid film.. I also lube the frizzen pivot and shoe at the 2nd cleaning.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 04:02:22 AM »

One of the  things you  can do to prevent chip out when removing barrel pins is put a slight bevel on the end of the pins.  I only take my barrel out of the stock once a year, immediately after hunting season,  unless I have been out in a heavy rain  storm. Which is not likely!!!  I do take the lock out and wash it inside and out after every shooting session.  I also clean and oil the barrel the following day.  I don't mind cleaning my rifles, it is part of the sport.

David Price

Dave Patterson

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2019, 07:35:07 PM »
I pull my pinned barrels for cleaning after every shooting session.

Then again, I don't have any "nice" rifles.  Those go to kids or grandkids. 

Pins go out and in the same side each time; pins are shortened a tad, and ends are chamfered.  Pins get waxed in place.  Tennons are slotted. 

I see more evidence of repeated handling in the screw slots (scratching of screw head finish), than around the pin holes. 

Turtle

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2019, 09:19:47 PM »
 One problem I run into a lot is people overtightening the front lock bolt when reinstalling the lock. they compress to wood and cock the lock.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2019, 11:22:47 PM »
Wax the bottom of the barrel with paste floor wax when you do the initial assembly and then leave it alone. Taking the barrel out every time is how the pin holes in the stock get to looking like a badgers den in no time flat.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2019, 02:58:05 AM »
Interesting, that hasn't happened to the rifle's Taylor made for the local boys and they shoot their rifles a lot and they ALL remove the barrels for cleaning, except for LB, that is. He plugs
the vent, fills the barrel, then flushes that out and repeats several times, then drys and oils.  It takes him longer to do that, than to clean by removing the barrel. I have cleaned my own
pinned guns at rendezvous like that, but not at home. I prefer the flushing of the water, into the bore and forcing it out under pressure to help clean off the breech-plug and inner orifice of
the vent liner - perfectly.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:01:26 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2019, 11:43:13 AM »
Daryl, I find this interesting also. I unpin and remove the barrel almost everytime I shoot, the lock also. I've tried the toothpick thing and the clamp on cleaning thingy and they just don't work for me. My barrels need a good flushing for me to feel they are clean.
I have never gotten any water or prime between the pan and barrel, the fit is the thing.
As for longevity I built my .54 nearly 20 years ago, the .40 about 15 years ago. Same pins. Even the same holes. No problems.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2019, 04:04:21 AM »
This topic is locked.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson