Author Topic: Tent  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Nhgrants

Tent
« on: February 21, 2019, 12:06:44 PM »
Is a wedge tent appropriate for a primitive rendezvous? I'm thinking  about a 9x9x7 for 1 to 2
People? Has anyone applied fire retardant for canvas themselves? Thanks in advance for any
Advice you can share.

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Tent
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 10:21:49 PM »
I am not an expert, but I believe a wedge will fit a broad historical range. I like mine.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 11:48:19 PM »
The wedge has been around for ever.  It will fit your needs.

As to fire retardant....  Shop the makers.....  most all offer pre treated fabric.  Californackstan has the toughest rules, go figure.  Be sure your basic fabric is "Army Duck" weave.  It is heavier with double threads in both the warp and weft.  Also most makers are using a highly water repellent fabric that starts out as Army Duck. The repellent is applied at the mill and the fabric we used really worked as long as you did not spray an aerosol bug spray on it.

EDIT:  Regarding fire retardant....  there may be a bit of a hang up depending on where you do most of your camping.  Usually materials with fire retardant from the manufacturer have a seal or code or whatever that states the fabric meets fire retardant specs.  If you apply the material yourself there is no certificate.  This comes from some conversations I have had with folks in the past three or so years and really only applies to states where fire retardancy is required when camping on some public campgrounds.

Wife and I were one of the five companies back in the day (Terripan Ridge Lean to and Tipi Co.)  building tipi's, tents, lean to's and wife designed the original Lean Pe.  We used over 1000 yards of canvas per month, many months.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:01:32 AM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 09:38:13 AM »
There are several high quality tent manufacturers that offer primitive/rendezvous wedge tents that are acceptable at most events. They offer fire retardant treatments as well as UV protection.
If you’re planning to roll your own or recycle one, something to consider is the color and weight of canvas. Army drab green usually is not acceptable. Most are white or off white. Some are painted.  One needs to research the proper colors for the time period you are portraying. A basic white canvas wedge will get ya through most events from colonial to 1840

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 05:25:01 PM »
Tentsmith's has a Bell Back Wedge that is authenticated to the late 1700's.  I have one it it is great with that extra room.

Carney

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 07:44:21 PM »
Panther Primitives here in West Virginia have been in business for quite awhile and produce a good quality tent.
http://www.pantherprimitives.com/

Regards
Frank

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 09:49:40 PM »
My wedge is a panther, top notch.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 12:01:52 AM »
I've always bought from Panther & have been very happy.  Decide on which tent size is "perfect" & buy the next larger one. ;)  Wedges are great and very PC, but take a look at wall tents also.  I had a 10'X10' wall tent for years  that my dad & I used.  Even a short side wall increases usable space.  In either a wedge or wall tent, two doors helps with ventilation, and a stove pipe hole is a good idea.  They don't cost much, and someday you might want to do some extended camping in the cold.  We hunted out of it in Utah and never suffered in it a bit, even in snow.  Get the fire resistant/waterproof cotton duck, the heavier the better.  Lighter is great for putting up and transporting, but heavier is more tear resistant. 
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 04:32:27 AM »
I just gave away an 8’x10’ Panther wall tent that I have had for about 35 years. Its one of the early ones with the 4’sidewalls. I got it when we were doing a lot of rendezvous,and my son was young. The tent was so good, that when I decided to become a rendezvous trader, I became a dealer for them. Panther primitives aregood people to do business with.

Hungry Horse