Author Topic: New guy gun builder's bench  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

New guy gun builder's bench
« on: February 22, 2019, 02:55:10 AM »
I was thinking a new guy was asking if he needed a vise to start building a gun, I thought it was on this site but can't find his post.

I went over to a gunsmith firiend's shop today to take a picture of his Tip Curtis gun builders bench for the new guy to see.

The new guy said he lived in an apartment, this bench would be just what he needs.

The bench cost about $150 several years ago, it comes in a box and needs to be assembled. I don't know if Tip still has these or not.

Offline Elnathan

Re: New guy gun builder's bench
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 05:12:04 AM »
I live in an apartment and use one of Black and Decker's Workmate folding benches. I made a new center piece out of oak and attached a machinist's vise to one end, so when i need to use a vise I can swap out the original piece. It is barely adequate for anything but light work - very light, and tends to shake around and "walk," even with extra weight on it. Stuff falls off it all the time, too. It is better than nothing, but difficult to use for something like roughing out an axe handle or sawing a big board and useless for debreeching barrels.

Tip's bench looks like it has all the problems my setup has, but twice as bad. I suppose if all you are doing is assembling a kit it might be adequate, but it looks too unstable for anything but inletting small parts or decorative carving. Even something like cutting the end of a stock for the buttplate might be near impossible.

Not to knock Tip, but I as someone who has actually done some work in a very small apartment I don't think that this would be a good setup. As a secondary, specialized bench in a larger workshop it might be quite useful, though.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Richard

• North of 54
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:48:38 AM »
Eric, I like that one. You can walk around and access each side of Tip's vice. That's what I dislike about a standard bench / vice set up. Constantly flipping the stock right to left.
I'm thinking maybe I need both types. Oh... and then there the tilt and swivel features to think about.
Richard

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 07:26:59 AM »
A member here was selling plans for a great stocking bench a while back....same walk-around concept...but more sturdy and built for stocking longrifles.  I'm an apartment setting, I'd imagine you could modify it to collapse or stow away.   

I couldn't get away with working in an apartment lol....I make way too much noise.  Something always needs whacked with a wooden mallet.

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 07:48:39 AM »
Eric, I like it, but can't see myself building on something so small.  I think it could be of advantage to a beginner though, and maybe with some tiny modifications, a good bench for carving.  It could easily be transported to, it looks to me.

I am in the process of designing a new bench for myself, but it will be at least 4 months before I can actually build it.  But some people don't have the space for a huge bench, and this one seems quite compact. 

Matt

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 08:00:46 AM »
This is one that several ordered plans for.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=46225.0

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
Yep that's it Dogcatcher!   

I haven't built one yet....got the plans.  Ended up with a 4'x2' bench for now.   Mounted a pattern makers vise in a corner.  Its not huge but holds what I need.  I can spin the rifle 360 and can work around it as well.  It's working for me.   

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 01:44:33 PM »
Nice. But I'm more interested in those wooden machinist tool boxes in the background   :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 05:23:22 PM »
That is Bruce McKelvey's shop and a fine gunsmith he is, he is also one of the top B/P shooters in the country. I was trying to talk him into going to the York shoot next month but he said the last two times he went the weather was so miserable and he didn't even shoot.

I have a narrow bench I use in my shop for bow building, I keep about 150 lbs of lead shot and cast lead on the feet to keep it from walking around.

virtual dice 6 sided
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:50:45 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 05:25:06 PM »
Sounds like a question I asked a while back.

Nice bench.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 05:59:56 PM »
I built a similar one for my 12 year old son a while back. The one I built is considerably heavier than that, but it still needs to have some weight added to the base for stability. If I had to do it over again I would have made it out of something heavier such as maple, or white oak, but I used pine to cut the cost down. I have attached a few photos if you want to see how it went together.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:13:06 PM by 44-henry »

Offline t.caster

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 06:01:20 PM »
I have a walk-around bench I've been using since '88, with two Pana-Vises. Only replaced one vice because the swivel ball broke, in 30 some years. I love it and wouldn't want to work with only one vice. I'm spoiled. Pardon my dust!

Tom C.

Offline kudu

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 06:05:22 PM »
Its been a long time ago but I worked with a guy that Lived in a apartment we Both worked as Machinist's.

He made a "Work Stand"- Bench  out of 1 1/2"Pipe it had a vise and removable Platform type Table (For Reloading Unmentionables) Right in the Kitchen of his bachelor Pad.

The funny Thing was he Lag Bolted it to the Floor.

When he left after 5 years The landlord begged him to stay he was the Best Tennent he ever had He paid cash every month on Time and never
asked to have anything fixed he repaired the Toilet, sink replaced glass in the door and polished the kitchen floor and left Three small Holes in the floor!!!

Offline BJH

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 05:08:59 AM »
The plans that were mentioned, were mine. And still available. I’m up to 12 guns since I built my gun stockers horse and have almost no use for my two typical work benches. Except for vise work. BJH
BJH

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 05:41:03 AM »
44-henry, That is some gift you made there.  Beautifully finished.  Hard to imagine it being used it is so well dressed.  I am sure he was proud to get it.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 09:36:11 PM »
Thanks, he does use it for making walking sticks. Generally we place a 5 gallon bucket of lead scraps between the two stretchers and it is very solid than. I wouldn't have an issue doing stockwork on it so equipped, particularly if you stand on one end while doing heavier work.