Author Topic: Brass shrinkage factor  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
Brass shrinkage factor
« on: February 22, 2019, 05:24:31 PM »
I'm planning my next build and need to make patterns for a trigger guard, butt plate, and patch box lid for an Oerter rifle. I don't know the % of shrink to allow for the brass. I have heard 5% in length and 2% in width, but I don't trust those numbers. Any help in this would be appreciated...……..Dan
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Brass shrinkage factor
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 05:55:57 PM »
I've been doing  a lot of pattern making for sand casting lately. The shrinkage is so little it isn't worth worrying about.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

ron w

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:41:43 PM »
to put it in perspective,, a 5/8" wide trigger guard will shrink .012" (TWELVE THOUSANDTHS) and if the guard is 8 inches long, it will shrink less than 1/16 inch in length,.....not much to be concerned about.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 06:48:48 PM »
For sand castings I seal my wood patterns with an enamel paint to protect them, for the little bit of shrinkage you will get the enamel thickness will help to slightly enlarge the parts and offset the problem.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
An 8 inch guard @5% shrink is .4, or just over 3/8".  I know it doesn't sound like much, but pattern makers used different measuring rulers, each calibrated for the cast materials rate of shrinkage.....Maybe I'm too picky!!
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 07:07:27 PM »
5% shrinkage for cast brass is simply incorrect. 1.5% is closer to correct if you want to use a percentage. The rule for brass shrinkage is 3/16" per foot and that applies to length, width or thickness. For a multiplier use 0.985 to see what a given dimension will shrink to or 1.0156 to see how much larger your pattern must be to achieve a given dimension. This shrink factor does not take into account excessive shrinkage which may occur if unduly heavy sections in the casting are not protected by a sacrificial riser feeding that heavy section.

ron w

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 07:07:53 PM »
I don't know what math you learned , but 8x.05 (5 hundredths) equals .040, or 40 thousandths of an inch......1/16th of an inch is .0625"..0625 minus.040 equals .0225,.... not even 1/32 of an inch.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 07:41:05 PM »
I don't know what math you learned , but 8x.05 (5 hundredths) equals .040, or 40 thousandths of an inch......1/16th of an inch is .0625"..0625 minus.040 equals .0225,.... not even 1/32 of an inch.

Ron W,

Not that it matters since Mr. Steffy has given a very succinct explanation, but you need to check your calculator.  8 x .05 (5%) does indeed equal .40     -     8 x .005 = .040

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 09:32:50 PM »
  From my experience you can figure 3% over all but remember this. In a sand casting you will file off a significant amount in cleanup also.  Investment castings are not so much of a problem in that respect.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 03:43:48 AM »
Thanks for the help guys....Ron W had me goin there for a minute!