Author Topic: My First bag what do you think?  (Read 1322 times)

Vestvol

My First bag what do you think?
« on: February 23, 2019, 03:36:41 AM »
I got an old piece of leather cheap so I decided to try my hand at making my own possibles pouch. It had a lot of blemishes and a brand mark. The guy I got it from had already used most of it, but there was enough for a bag. I no branding is not period correct but decided to use the brand because I thought it was interesting and did not have enough material not to use it. If I never sew leather seams again I will have lived a happy life? LOL. I did not want it to be perfect but look hand made with limited tools. If I had more material I would have doubled up the strap, but I did not have the material or the will to sew that Much more. The bag is 10x10

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: My First bag what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 05:03:22 AM »
Looks good.   You have more will power than most if you can stop at one. 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 05:35:24 AM »
That looks to be a good start sir. Starting with an inside-out welted bag is not an easy first project.  Good job jumping right in there with both feet.  The brand looks like a deer antler from certain angles.  Claim that you did it intentionally!   :-) 

I have to agree with Mike, it is hard to stop at just one.  I am on #11 currently.  I am not fast.  The stitching is a test, as is finishing, and perfecting those keeps me going. Still lots and lots to learn on my end. 

God Bless,   Marc

Vestvol

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 06:10:06 AM »
Yeah I agree abut being addictive. I complained about the sewing, but my 7 year old told me today that if Iam going to give him my gun one day Then he probably needs a hunting pouch too. So with two boys guess I have at least two more to make. It was fun and the stitching gets easier with practice. Being on here is inspiring!

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 08:16:11 AM »
Nice job.  Careful, its addictive

Having the right needles and punches will help you a lot. 

As an aside, leather glue helps also.

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 09:25:10 AM »
I think it is a nice bag.  You might want  think about a leather binding around the raw edges which would make the front lip of the bag a little stiffer and smoother in accessing the bag. 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 09:05:07 PM »
To follow up on what Jerry said, edge treatment is one of the small things that adds huge amounts to the look of a finished product.  An alternative to binding the edge can be rounding the edge. In some areas binding isn't an option, but you may still want a finished looking edge. 

The following tools are cheap and easy to use, and go a long way to the professional look of a leather item. 

The edge beveling tool is used to trim off the square edges. 

I then dye the edge, using a good quality dark brown dye, applied with a Q-Tip.

I then wax the edge with beeswax, and vigorously rub the edge with one of these grooved edge rounding tools (of which there are many designs).  This gives a properly finished edge, even if you don't do a rolled our bound edge treament.

I hope this helps a little.  Some pre-finished or oiled leathers will not allow you to do this edge polishing very well.  Works super on veg tanned and tooling leather.

Folks like James Rogers most likely have even better processes than mine, but this is what has worked for me so far.   

God Bless,   Marc

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 10:39:47 PM »
You did a fine job on that bag.  And it's difficult/impossible to stop at just one; I know I couldn't and I don't even have your level of skill.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 10:47:32 PM »
Looks very good. Wouldn't change a thing if trying to replicate a homemade bag.
IIRC, one of my ancestor's inventory of 1751 included a bull roaming at large with a brand.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 10:54:27 PM »
Oh if you want to stiffen the entrance, don't add a binding but wet the leather there, roll it over on itself and throw a few stitches in it.

Vestvol

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 01:22:04 AM »
Thanks to everyone on the kind comments and suggestions. I must admit that after viewing the bags in the “post pic of your bag” thread, I realize I have a lot to learn and need a lot of practice. Hanshi you are too humble I loved your bag in the other thread. It inspired me to try a buck skin bag.

Robert