Author Topic: Hunting Horn Build Pt I  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Hunting Horn Build Pt I
« on: February 23, 2019, 10:13:59 PM »
  Got another Great horn from Burnt yesterday and got started on it this morning. Greg asked about a build along so I'll give it a shot. I was going to post it all at one time but I think it would to big and a lot of work to sort out.
So here is the first part starting with the raw horn:

The first Two show the first cut and the tip marked to be cut

The next Two show the cut, the hole drilled and the start of the cut made with a 3'4" hole saw to made the portion that will be threaded.

Next shows tip after the thin wall left by the Hole saw has been filed away.

Getting ready to thread the tip I put a hose clamp on the exposed area to keep it from splitting in the next step.

The tip is being threaded so the Jig that will guide the Die can be screwed in.

The Jig and it screwed in.

The die is started and locked up in the vice to get it started, then the horn is turned all the way in. At this point it helps to turn the die around and run it back down, it will get 1 or 2 more threads or so.

A 5/8-11 NC nut turned on to the threads and down onto the horn..

A couple of notes:

1.The set has been taken out of the teeth on the hole saw. Cut only a 1/4" at a time or so, empty out   
    the dust from the hole and clean up the teeth, they will be clogged. If you don't heat will build up and
    the horn will get scorched become brittle and not take the threads well.   
 2.The actual pouring hole was predrilled with a 1/4" bit. The Hole saw has a 1/4' pilot and the predrilled   
    hole will help guide.
 3.File a slight taper/draft on the tip where the Jig hits the horn to help get the die started.
 4.The Jig is a 5/8-aaNC tapped for a 5/16-18 bolt. 

Next post will be the collar, that will screw onto the horn. Followed by the mouth piece, which will also screw into collar, finishing and a band at the Bell.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 06:57:13 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Hunting Horn Build Pt I
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 10:45:50 PM »
I'm anxious to see the pics of the remainder of your process.  By the way, I learned a couple of tips by studying your photos.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 01:35:07 AM »
Great tutorial Tim. This is lots of fun going along with your work. God Bless, Marc

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 02:12:32 AM »
Tim, Great tutorial so far.  Anxiously looking forward to the rest of the series.
Questions:
     1.  Never had a horn split when threading the pour spout.  Is this something that you have experienced much?  Never would have thought of using a hose clamp.  Is that step particularly PC?  lol
     2.  Do you find it is helpful to square the tip of the horn to the pour hole?  I always do.  Whether or not it helps, I don't know.  I just do that with all the horns I make, screw tip, plain tip, whatever.  I use a little tool that I got from Penn State for pen making.
Thanks, John

Offline aaronc

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 03:52:48 AM »
I'm tuned in.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Online WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 04:15:28 AM »
Nice!
What kind of rasp/file/scraper did you use to take the horn down?

Kevin
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:20:16 AM by burnt »
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 04:30:57 AM »
Tim, Thanks for taking the time to post this information. 

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 08:28:25 AM »
Great tutorial, Tim. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 02:26:10 PM »
Tim, Great tutorial so far.  Anxiously looking forward to the rest of the series.
Questions:
     1.  Never had a horn split when threading the pour spout.  Is this something that you have experienced much?  Never would have thought of using a hose clamp.  Is that step particularly PC?  lol
     2.  Do you find it is helpful to square the tip of the horn to the pour hole?  I always do.  Whether or not it helps, I don't know.  I just do that with all the horns I make, screw tip, plain tip, whatever.  I use a little tool that I got from Penn State for pen making.
Thanks, John

1. I have had horns split while threading them for the Jig. After the horn itself is threaded I go back and smooth out the internal threads with a tapering tool.

2. I don't use anything to square the tip, just go by eye. Never really thought about it.

Tim

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 02:37:20 PM »
Nice!
What kind of rasp/file/scraper did you use to take the horn down?

Kevin

Just getting started, so far it has been a Nicholson 50 and I will probably use that on the rest of the horn to shape and thin it, maybe something coarser depending on how it goes. Then switch over to a couple consecutively finer rasps, after that a scraper. After scraping some color will go on it to show any scratches, then scrape it again and sand it starting with 80 and work down to 320, finish it with 0000 and color it for the last time.   

Tim