Author Topic: Chambers King rifle  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Chambers King rifle
« on: February 23, 2019, 11:18:18 PM »
Chambers King lived in Washington Township, Armstrong County PA near Kittanning.  He was a regimental Armourer for
the 2nd Provisional Pennsylvania Cavalry in 1864.  It's known that his father George and brother Wm were also gunsmiths.  He moved
to Canoe Township Indiana County later in his life. 

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:16:44 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Chambers King rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 01:33:43 AM »
Photo credit Dr. James whisker

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 11:34:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures and information!
Mighty nice rifle he holds in the upper picture
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline JBJ

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 07:09:12 PM »
Please look critically at the signature. I am bothered by the lack of aging/patina in the bottom of the "engraved" lines and the presence of a light colored "ridge" around the engraving. Click on the signature image and then you can further enlarge that image. Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me.
J.B.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 07:19:39 PM »
Please look critically at the signature.
J.B.

I agree. It looks like either a Dremel tool over-cut of the original signature, or a complete fantasy signature.

Otherwise, a nice gun!   
John Robbins

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 08:48:57 PM »
Unfortunately, the second I saw the signature I said to myself; "Dremel".   :-\

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 10:03:49 PM »
Especially when you compare the fine quality engraving on the patchbox, with the childish style of the signature....
Unfortunately it's cut so deep it'll be difficult to remove,,,,
John Robbins

DICKH

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 11:35:55 PM »
       In the January 1967 issue of Muzzle Blasts is a short piece by Walter C. Snyder about Elmer King son
of Chambers King. Says that Elmer King has maintained his father's shop almost intact,that Elmer did a
little gunsmithing work.

Their is a picture of Elmer holding one of his father's rifles,says that Elmer King passed away September 1st
1959 at the age of 78.

Richard Henderson

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 07:43:13 PM »
I'm thinking like others that someone recut the signature.  The letters are formed like the signature on other rifles, so I don't think it's a fantasy
but somebody went over it.   I removed the patchbox, cleaned the varnish off and reinstalled it.  Now it can age naturally.  I think the long term result
will be better.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 11:02:47 PM »
Overall it looks very nice. Great patchbox!

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 08:21:26 PM »
Another fine rifle by King.  I discovered his gunsmith ledgers at the PA Archives from the 1890s.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 08:49:49 PM »
His ledgers most frequently mention stocking, freshing, refinishing, replacing springs and pivots, making bullet moulds, replacing ramrods, hammers and just about every function of a gunsmith.  Some pages talk in detail about methods of blacksmithing and heating metal to different colors and quenching. About 40-50 pages in total.  I was most surprised that his work was done for people all over Pennsylvania and not just in his local area.  He was shipping repairs via post.  He would also leave them at stores in various towns for local pickup.  Very interesting stuff

Offline wabeek

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 12:35:57 AM »
He is buried at Union Cemetery, Rossiter, Indiana County, PA.   His headstone had fallen and has since been righted.  Some nice rifles of his in the area.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 12:41:11 AM »
After seeing the fine original signature, I am doubtful the first signature is original, and doubtful it is a re-cut of an original signature. Too many crude differences. Shelby Gallien