Author Topic: Chambers Germanic locks?  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Bigmon

Chambers Germanic locks?
« on: February 24, 2019, 02:34:09 AM »
Does anyone have a photo, or know the difference between the Chambers GERMANIC LOCK, and their EARLY GERMANIC LOCK??
In looking at their web site they show a picture of the Early Germanic.  But in their pricing the list it, and also just a Germanic.  And for a higher price.
The reason I ask is I bought a lock from a gentleman at a show today that is really neat.  It is a roundfaced banana shaped lock.  He says it is a Chambers Germanic.  I have no reason to doubt him, but would like to know what this lock is all about, what ear, etc.  I would think it to be the earlier lock, but the other one is called the early Germanic?
I just can't wait until Monday to call Barbie.  This is a neat lock.
Thanks

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Chambers Germanic locks?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 02:48:56 AM »
I am pretty sure you will find it on MBS website.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 03:06:59 AM »
Is it possibly their Jaeger lock? Blind screws for the tumbler bridel. I've used a few of them, nice lock!
Kevin

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 03:14:52 AM »
I believe the round faced banana style plate is their Jaeger and the flat plate is the GErmanic or Early Germanic (same lock)

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 03:58:05 AM »
That's it guys, thanks.
Yeager lock eh?  That would be ok on a early style rifle, even a transitional type?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 06:24:37 AM »
That is the L-20 German Jaeger Flintlock.  It is a nice lock.  I have one in my lock collection.  I saw it last year at the Oregon Gunmakes Fair and just had to have one.  No project in mind, just liked the lock.
David

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 10:19:17 AM »
Ooh, that's a new one!  For me, at least!  Looks like it would make for a very nice German rifle lock ca 1710-20.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 04:13:53 PM »
I guess I didn't even realize it was a round plate and hammer until I got home.  That sort of thru me off a bit as I am used to Germanic locks being flat or beveled plate, like the Siler or the Transitional type. Would this lock be ok on a Transitional era rifle similar to the Christian Springs?
How about on a fowler?
If I am going to go thru all the work of building a pc I sure don't want an obviously wrong lock on it!

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 05:28:21 PM »
Very appropriate for an early American rifle, Fowler as well.  Many “Germanic” and European locks were rounded. 

This is the lock on an early rifle I posted earlier.  I have one in the shop with a brass plate awaiting a future build.

Ed Wenger

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 05:37:14 PM »
Hi,
I would not recommend that lock for any gun representing a British-style sporting gun made after about 1710-1720.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 10:34:11 PM »
I always thought that Jaeger/EG lock was the best looking lock that Chambers sold. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 12:06:43 AM »
Mr Wenger,
Odd that I should just happen across that lock.  Then see that pic you posted as that is just what I had in mind with a stepped wrist.  I want something early Germanic, as I am from old German stock. I'd like to find about a 30" swamped 62 or 75 cal barrel.  I have a real nice cherry blank from my own tree but it will only handle a 30" barrel.
I have a long blamk also but I don't want a long barreled big bore.  Too heavy

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 01:45:42 AM »
Bigmon..., Colerain has a 31” barrel in .62 cal, if you could stretch another inch out of your blank.  I’m sure one of the custom barrel makers could help you out if not.

Also, some longer barrels with big bores aren’t as bad as you might think, weight wise.  Rice has a really nice scaled down version of their “Dutch Lancaster”.  Not sure of the length, but it’s a really nice profile.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 02:25:33 AM »
Bigmon..., Colerain has a 31” barrel in .62 cal, if you could stretch another inch out of your blank.  I’m sure one of the custom barrel makers could help you out if not.

Also, some longer barrels with big bores aren’t as bad as you might think, weight wise.  Rice has a really nice scaled down version of their “Dutch Lancaster”.  Not sure of the length, but it’s a really nice profile.

Ed
The EDL is 41". I'm stocking one up now in .54 Caliber, very nice profile. EDL stands for "Early Dutch Light." The regular Early dutch comes as big as .66. I'm guessing it would be a light barrel in .66 and not bad in .62, probably an 8lb. gun in .66 and closer to 9lb. in .62. Id call Rice for weights of barrel and add 3lbs to the barrel weight for a finished gun.
 A 30" barrel would be custom unless you got a standard 31" swamp and cut it off, which I have done before.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline jaeren

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 03:01:23 AM »

Ed

You should have talked to Ed Rayl  while you were at the show. I'm sure he could help you with the barrel. That's a nice show they just need a little bigger room.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 03:18:17 AM »
Mike,

Cutting off a 31 inch barrel would be a good idea, but I would cut it off the breach end to save the flair at the muzzle end.  I know it is a lot of more work but if that is what you want, just do it. 

David Price

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 03:35:03 AM »
Mike,

Cutting off a 31 inch barrel would be a good idea, but I would cut it off the breach end to save the flair at the muzzle end.  I know it is a lot of more work but if that is what you want, just do it. 

David Price
I had the barrel stored in my shop for decades and it ended up with some rust in the bore at the muzzle. I had Dave Rase cut  it off at the muzzle  at 29 1/2". had just enough flare at the muzzle after the cut to look more like the old barrels, I was very pleased. I actually prefer the flare at the breech more as that's where you see a lot of taper on the old barrels. But, that's neither her nor there as I had got myself in a bad situation due to poor storage. I got myself the propane heat now, no more poor storage  problems like that anymore. :).
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 03:52:14 AM »
Thanks to you all for the advice.  I appreciate the knowledge that is always so freely passed around on this web site.  I did speak with Ed Rayle at the Pricketts Fort event.  He is ready when I am.  Problem is I already have a 37" 58 cal barrel I got from him just a few months ago.  It is still taped to the board it came on, and is third in line already.
I just can't justify ordering another when I may never get these done that are ahead of it.
My interest is changing to this Germanic gun.  But by the time I'd get to it, maybe it will change again.
And I have a cpl other barrels and locks, stocks and hardware earmarked for other possible projects.
Thanks to you all, really.