Author Topic: How is this engraving done?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline webradbury

How is this engraving done?
« on: February 25, 2019, 07:18:44 AM »
I want to start adding a little embellishment to my knife bolsters but I can’t figure out how this type of border is done. I’ve tried and tried with different shapes of gravers and chisels but I cannot duplicate these cuts. Anyone know what tool/technique is required?

I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Nordnecker

Re: How is this engraving done?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 03:21:39 PM »
It is done with a square graver. You roll it to the side while tapping in. Then roll it back out. The little facets you see are the taps from the hammer.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »
You really don't want to duplicate those cuts shown. They are way too ragged. You can also do it with a square push graver. Push in with a lean , then flick it out. With just a little practice you will get it. Or, you can also come in with a lean from both sides.

Lzymtlsmth

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 02:39:38 PM »
You can see the tool progression makes, I would say it was cut hammer & chisel.
For this type border I use a flat cut from an 1/8” tool bit. Start with the tip of the tool on its side tap in several taps then start lowering the handle & lift out.
Bracelet shown is cut that way.
https://ibb.co/y6bF5FL