Author Topic: 'Old Gabe" Gabriel MCInturff Target added  (Read 6745 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
'Old Gabe" Gabriel MCInturff Target added
« on: February 27, 2019, 05:09:24 PM »
 This rifle is known as "Old Gabe" .Jim Holley bought this along with a bag & horn out of a bank in Limestone Tenn. in 1940. He paid five dollars for it. At sometime he had Hacker Martin do some work on it so he could shoot it in matches . It remained in the Holley collection until 1981 when Jerry Noble got it.
46 inch barrel 40 cal.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 05:38:08 PM by jdm »
JIM

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: 'Old Gabe" Gabriel MCInturff
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »

JIM

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 05:22:51 PM »
 8) 8) 8)... I'll take her,..... what ye askin',...??? .... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler...

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 05:35:54 PM »
I'll give ya $1.00 more thaat CCF!

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 05:48:16 PM »
[quote author=Molly
I'll give ya $1.00 more thaat CCF!

Not as good of a story as yours Molly but it's true.
JIM

Offline gibster

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 06:02:39 PM »
Jim - That's quite a rifle. Did it come to the Princeton show?  Wish I could have made it but to much on my plate at the moment. Hope to take an up close look at it someday.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 06:30:02 PM »
Eric,  Missed you at the show. It's about the only time I see you anymore.  I got it at Princeton from Jerry. We had been talking about it for some time.  Also picked up a nice Lehigh pistol .
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 06:55:48 PM »
Can we see the Lehigh pistol?  Please.

Eric,  Missed you at the show. It's about the only time I see you anymore.  I got it at Princeton from Jerry. We had been talking about it for some time.  Also picked up a nice Lehigh pistol .
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 08:40:44 PM »
Rob, I have to take some pictures first. Thanks!
JIM

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 09:31:04 PM »
Super old rifle, condition is outstanding.
Mark
Mark

realtorone

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 10:48:18 PM »
What a rifle. Just super.

Offline gibster

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 02:19:13 AM »
Sounds like you had a good show. I know you like the Lehigh stuff.  I think that this one may need to move a little further south though. Just saying.......

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 02:27:31 AM »
 ;) ;)... thanx for the color pix,... I couldn't remember "Ol' Gabe" not having a butt-plate,... she is a beauty and a fine shooter,.... Now, if only Jerry would let me bring "Old Scaley" home, I wouldn't bother you about this 'un any more,.... !!!... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler ::) ::) ::)

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 04:13:31 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the rifle . I was  happy to bring it home with me. There  is a target that goes with it . I don't have it yet but I'm looking foreword  to seeing it. I think Hacker Martin recut the barrel  . Hacker or Jim Holley made the ramrod.
Cades Cove I don't blame you " Old Scaley " would be welcome here also.  jim
JIM

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 07:01:01 PM »
I was  asked about the lock . It's R.  Ashmore .  The barrel is swamped.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 07:05:27 PM by jdm »
JIM

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 07:21:32 PM »
..... Thanx for the extra photos, Jim,... you just have to appreciate those Unicoi County features that show so clearly on this rifle,.... she's a dandy,... !!! ..... will you have her in Knoxville,...? .... CCF,.....

Offline scottmc

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 01:41:45 AM »
That is an absolute beauty!  Amazing condition for its age.  That Jom Holley must have had quite an arsenal at one time. 
Remember Paoli!

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 03:09:22 AM »
..... Thanx for the extra photos, Jim,... you just have to appreciate those Unicoi County features that show so clearly on this rifle,.... she's a dandy,... !!! ..... will you have her in Knoxville,...? .... CCF,.....
[/quote]

I've been to the Knoxville show a few times and would like to go again but not this year. It's a twelve hour plus drive one way for me and hard to work in.   That's why I enjoy seeing pictures that you guys take .
JIM

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 03:13:23 AM »

That is an absolute beauty!  Amazing condition for its age.  That Jom Holley must have had quite an arsenal at
one time. 
[/quote]
 It's my understanding that Jim Holley was one of the first to collect southern longrifles.
JIM

Offline louieparker

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 05:30:45 AM »
A friend of mine bought a barrel from Holley.. It was marked in a silver plate, John Bull Warrior Mountain 18?? Can't remember the exact date.. Might have been 23 or 21 ??.. Always regretted not buying that barrel from George,  That was George Megall.. Him and Holley were long time friends in Chicago..
JDM as you know I like your rifle also....Louie

Fowler610

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 06:55:17 PM »
Thank you for posting all the "Old Gabe" photos.  Just getting underway with my SMR kit as well as my education about rifles, architecture, finishes, wear patterns, etc.  From my newbies point of view, here's what caught my attention:
-The patina on the trigger guard
-The trigger adjustment screw-looks like it was shaped to allow adjustment by hand?
-Is it walnut?  It looks almost red up by the muzzle. 
Looking at it, you just want to put it in your hands.   JDM, thanks again for furthering my education. 

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 01:49:30 AM »
Fowler610 I'm glad you like seeing " Old Gabe" . I have certainly been having a lot of fun with it and am honored to have it . The stock is walnut with some dents and dings. There's a little wood replaced around the lock. More than likely don when Hacker was working on it . I believe he had the gun apart getting it ready for shooting matches. There's  not much dirt around the trigger s and trigger guard . A couple screws are replacements.  To me it's great to have some history with one of these old things. So often there is none.  For the first hundred years  plus or minus it probably didn't go very far from where it was made as it was found in the Bank in Limestone. The next forty years Holley had it and used it some. Jerry had it for the last almost forty. Jerry is a good friend . It's a bonus for me to have a rifle from his collection.  Forty years would be pushing for me so hopefully for  the next care taker it will have meaning for also. 
Here is a better picture of the trigger adjustment also the bag and horn set that was hanging on the wall with it.. Jim
JIM

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 01:57:35 AM »

JIM

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 03:13:53 AM »
Super close fitting on those triggers!!  Nice to see good workmanship in an old rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Fowler610

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 06:26:49 AM »
Thanks for the detail of the trigger guard.  I now get a sense of how well it was forged and a better idea about the shape of the adjustment screw.  DTS's comment about the close tolerances for the triggers is something I did not observe. I will pay attention to that detail going forward.   To have the pouch and horn that went with the rifle is pretty darn special.  Just adds to the amazing provenance.  In your care, that rifle is in good hands.