Author Topic: Help identifying some later period parts  (Read 1743 times)

Offline msellers

Help identifying some later period parts
« on: March 04, 2019, 08:40:37 PM »
All,

I recently aquired an nice back action lock, patent (not patten, dang fat fingers on phone) breech plug and possibly vincent style butt plate. Was told they were maybe 1840s-1850s, just am not sure what they could be from exactly. Wanting to utilize these for a build, and hopefully learn some more about them in the process. Also, can get better photos of the simple engraving if needed or wanted.

Thanks,
Mike

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:32:32 PM by msellers »

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Help identifying some later period parts
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 09:26:31 PM »
Not trying to be a wise guy here but looks like a patent breech, lock, buttplate and whatnot to me, that could be from almost anywhere in the percussion period. Thousands of makers were getting factory parts from their own “Track of the Wolf” in those days (large hardware dealers) and building guns largely indistinguishable from each other except sometimes in architecture or embellishment.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 09:28:14 PM »
Mike, those are fascinating parts - do you plan to use them on something you might build?
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline msellers

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 09:31:00 PM »
Not trying to be a wise guy here but looks like a patent breech, lock, buttplate and whatnot to me, that could be from almost anywhere in the percussion period. Thousands of makers were getting factory parts from their own “Track of the Wolf” in those days (large hardware dealers) and building guns largely indistinguishable from each other except sometimes in architecture or embellishment.
Rich,
Thanks for pointing out my fat finger and auto correct issue there. Would be something to see them ivory handle colts strapped to this breech. Thanks for the insight on the possibilities also. Will go correct the misspelling on the patent breech, not patten breech.
Mike

Offline msellers

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 09:31:46 PM »
Mike, those are fascinating parts - do you plan to use them on something you might build?
Hopefully, but will see what i can figure out.
Mike

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 06:52:51 AM »
Hi Mike, interesting old parts. I got a bunch of old parts several years back,and had some of the same stuff. Presently, there are 8 rifles built with those parts.Best 400.00 I ever spent on anything,well,almost.
 I built an Ohio style long rifle ,2 piece takedown cherry stock using these same style parts. Ed Rayl 34 cal barrel makes 1 ragged hole at 50 bench.
 If you want,I can send you pics of the gun.I got my ideas from Ohio Collectors show.Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Levy

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 12:42:16 AM »
A word of caution concerning the lock.  I see that both the mainspring and the sear extend beyond the borders of the lockplate.  I would be willing to bet that the gun this lock came off of is missing wood at both of those places on the gunstock.  Be sure that the sear and mainspring are hidden behind the lock plate before trying to insert or remove the lock from the gunstock.  I love old parts, but you have to be careful with them.  I've made the above mistake more than once.  James Levy   
James Levy

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 04:50:11 AM »
The hammer not resting on a nipple allows the mainspring to carry on past it's at rest position above the plate.  When Y9ou remove a lock of this type, it MUST be done on the half cock notch.  This also allows the sear's nose, now not resting against the lower curve of the tumbler, to allow the tail to drop down below the plate.  Neither of these conditions occur on a properly made rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline msellers

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 08:55:36 AM »
This lock is kind of interesting to me in the fact that the tail of the mainspring is also the sear spring. It is also a bit weak to keep the sear engaged properly as I mess with it. Otherwise, it seems to function mostly as it should.  Not sure I totally trust the sear nose and tumbler notches, but can slowly work on those. Also looks like the tumbler needs to be bushed where it comes through the plate.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 06:51:34 PM »
As Taylor says re. the removal of the lock.

I think these parts can work very nicely for you, Mike!
You know where they need work.  easy enough o re-cut notches and re =harden.
The mainspring may need a re-heat and bend, re-temper but this isn't too hard to do.

I look forward to your progress reports.  :-)

R